Vulkan Video Support Progressing For Open-Source Intel, AMD Radeon Hardware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ResponseWriter View Post
    Maybe it's a bug but the AV1 decoding through VA-API with mpv on 6800 XT results in very choppy video for me. Apart from that, VA-API does work OK on AMD but I hope Vulkan will become the future target for all vendors.
    If you have at least Mesa 21.3, FFmpeg 4.4 and preferably the latest mpv version, then it's probably a bug.

Comment

And once again, the priority is given to patent-encumbered non-free codecs such as h.264 and h.265, while treating the royalty-free VP9 and AV1 codecs as second-rate afterthoughts.

We don't pay royalties for pictures, do we? Or for vector-based graphics formats? Or file systems? Or 3D acceleration APIs? Then why is it okay for everyone to tolerate having to pay royalties for video codecs? Bah.

Comment

Originally posted by SteamPunker View Post
        And once again, the priority is given to patent-encumbered non-free codecs such as h.264 and h.265, while treating the royalty-free VP9 and AV1 codecs as second-rate afterthoughts.
        Unfortunately, if you want hardware-accelerated video, which is kinda the whole point of this, you need there to actually be, y'know, hardware support. And regardless of how much better you think VP9 etc are, no manufacturer is going to waste design time and die space on formats that users don't care about because nothing uses them.

Not saying you're wrong in concept, but AV1 was so late to market that it lost by simply never even showing up. That's not the fault of the hardware designers, and certainly not arlied's fault either.

Comment

Originally posted by [TV] View Post

If you have at least Mesa 21.3, FFmpeg 4.4 and preferably the latest mpv version, then it's probably a bug.
          I'm on Mesa git as of about a week ago, current ffmpeg and mpv. Looks like this bug.

Comment

Working...
          X