Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sway's wlroots Lands Initial Vulkan Renderer

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Sway's wlroots Lands Initial Vulkan Renderer

    Phoronix: Sway's wlroots Lands Initial Vulkan Renderer

    The wlroots modular Wayland compositing library that was started by the Sway compositor now has an initial Vulkan renderer merged...

    https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...ulkan-Renderer

  • #2
    Always glad to see migration towards vulkan,

    Comment


    • #3
      They need to just adopt wlroots as the one official high-level wayland compositor library. There’s so much duplicated work, and each set of desktop developers has to learn the caveats and fix the same set of bugs again and again all on their own.

      I understand why they initially wanted Wayland to be minimal and agnostic, but that philosophy is heavily slowing down adoption.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by bearoso View Post
        They need to just adopt wlroots as the one official high-level wayland compositor library. There’s so much duplicated work, and each set of desktop developers has to learn the caveats and fix the same set of bugs again and again all on their own.

        I understand why they initially wanted Wayland to be minimal and agnostic, but that philosophy is heavily slowing down adoption.
        As I like the idea of this, some developers does not do any research while actively developing a solution, unless someone tells them about it. Also some have pride to finish for a even "better solution", could also be a reason of "well we already allocated a lot of time/resources in this so we won't adopt that".
        Either way, so many factors we cannot account. But yet I 100% agree with you bearoso.

        Comment


        • #5
          Nice! May be we'll finally see KDE running on Vulkan without OpenGL.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Sethox View Post

            As I like the idea of this, some developers does not do any research while actively developing a solution, unless someone tells them about it. Also some have pride to finish for a even "better solution", could also be a reason of "well we already allocated a lot of time/resources in this so we won't adopt that".
            Either way, so many factors we cannot account. But yet I 100% agree with you bearoso.
            I've wondered myself if much of the linux ecosystem doesn't actually just want, in addition to a nice protocol, a standard display compositor/server, since so many things got moved there.

            EDIT: Yes I know about Weston and Red Hat.
            Last edited by doomie; 28 October 2021, 08:58 PM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by bearoso View Post
              They need to just adopt wlroots as the one official high-level wayland compositor library. There’s so much duplicated work, and each set of desktop developers has to learn the caveats and fix the same set of bugs again and again all on their own.

              I understand why they initially wanted Wayland to be minimal and agnostic, but that philosophy is heavily slowing down adoption.
              Do you want another X11? because that's how you get it!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by boxie View Post

                Do you want another X11? because that's how you get it!
                When one "reinvent the wheel", the rationale behind is usually that the old wheel is too old and can't support new hardware / software feature cleanly anymore. What end up in Wayland is... this reinvented wheel is still clunky to support new hardware / software feature. It is still impossible to render a surface natively that overlap displays with mixed pixel density / color space / refresh rate. Also no native support of fractional scaling.

                On the security aspect, I heard they still haven't completed native support of IME, which is essential for East-Asian text input.
                p.s. There are supports adding to it, but various issue can occur.
                Last edited by billyswong; 29 October 2021, 12:44 AM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by bearoso View Post
                  They need to just adopt wlroots as the one official high-level wayland compositor library. There’s so much duplicated work, and each set of desktop developers has to learn the caveats and fix the same set of bugs again and again all on their own.

                  I understand why they initially wanted Wayland to be minimal and agnostic, but that philosophy is heavily slowing down adoption.
                  wlroots should probably reach API stability first. Having useful functions removed every single release hasn't been really fun.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by boxie View Post

                    Do you want another X11? because that's how you get it!
                    Honestly yes. I mean, I just want a fully featured & functioning display server, which X is, and no wayland compositor provides this, I'm even questioning if wayland is ready to support this in the first place by now.

                    Wayland's entire design philosophy is literally: That's the compositor's problem.

                    (And it's not fucking working)
                    Last edited by rabcor; 29 October 2021, 01:38 AM.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X