Vulkan 1.2.196 Introduces H.265 Encode Extension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
    So the idea is to eventually switch to these instead of using VAAPI?
    maybe idea is to allow streaming games with one api instead of two

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
      In obs-studio xcomposite window grab, VAAPI real time capturing on the same GPU that renders the game unfortunately has very bad performance with AMD VAAPI driver. It's basically unusable when the GPU is maxed out and you don't want to have just 10fps stutter video. xcomposite might not be optimal, yet it works much better with Nvidia (and probably also Intel VAAPI driver).
      Use https://github.com/nowrep/obs-vkcapture instead of XComposite for OpenGL and Vulkan apps to get less perfomance hit. Although that doesn't help much with the encoding speed.
      Last edited by arzeth; 13 October 2021, 11:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by arzeth View Post
        Use https://github.com/nowrep/obs-vkcapture instead of XComposite for OpenGL and Vulkan apps to get less perfomance hit. Although that doesn't help much with the encoding speed.
        Thanks, that sounds promising. Though I think frame buffer grab wasn't the cause of the weird slowness I had with game capture on Navi, perhaps the driver just can't manage simultaneous high 3D load and image up-/download + encoding well. Just an assumption though. Anyway, I can't test this with AMD cards anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
          AV1, which is poised to take over, is extremely computationally intensive, software encoding and decoding is not an option at most resolutions.
          This was true last year, but now SVT-AV1 0.9.0+ offers encoding quality higher than that of x264 at equivalent encoding speeds (up to x264 veryfast-like speed), and dav1d offers fast and efficient cpu decoding performance.

Comment

Working...
          X