Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bug77
    That's pretty insane.
    Whoa, careful there! According to that document, you just used “ablelist” (whatever that means) language, buddy.

Speaking for myself, I will continue using terms like master copy and blacklist/whitelist, because I favor clarity.

Comment

Originally posted by krOoze View Post

That's fine. Khronos did not cave here, because vendors can always make as many extensions as they want, as long as they register the names. Non-EXT and non-KHR extensions are pretty unilateral things...

What Khronos did fully cave on recently is oligarchical collectivism from Google though.
      One is the result of the other. Khronos did cave in to goggle's weight (read: money). The wokeism and the benevolent acceptance of private extensions are just the visible part of it. The fundamentals that have been changed are kept secret to the public.

For the "unilateral things":
      Are you actually saying that I can create my own VK_LOWFLYER_non_woke_language extension for my pet raspberry-pi project (where I have vague plans to sell it sometime in the future) and get it properly registered???

Comment

Originally posted by lowflyer View Post
        For the "unilateral things":
        Are you actually saying that I can create my own VK_LOWFLYER_non_woke_language extension for my pet raspberry-pi project (where I have vague plans to sell it sometime in the future) and get it properly registered???
        Simplistically speaking, yes. Might be questionable why are you making an extension for a device you are not a vendor of. Realistically in this case, your work should probably be championed by Mesa, Broadcom, or Raspi Foundation. You should likely also be in some kind of legal relationship with Khronos. Not sure if you need to be a full-fledged member. I don't see that being strictly necessary though. Not sure if even Mesa is; I think they are some kind of honorary member on the account they are just an open source project.

KHR extension require some quality control and some compromise of vendors. EXT extensions imply some collaboration, or ecosystem thing, but it is much muddier. Vendor extensions (AMD, NV, ...) are largely between you (the app developer) and the vendor. As far as I know, it does not need to be voted on by the group. It only has to have all the formalities (registered in XML, not break the spec document or something, should be implemented I think on release, newly I think they very much prefer if you at least pretend you gonna implement Validation for it, and such).
        Last edited by krOoze; 30 September 2021, 05:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X