Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vulkan 1.2.194 Brings New Extension For Google's Fuchsia OS

Phoronix: Vulkan 1.2.194 Brings New Extension For Google's Fuchsia OS

Vulkan 1.2.194 is out as the latest spec revision to this high performance graphics and compute API...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nothing like reading about a cross platform toolkit implementing platform specific features...

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
      Nothing like reading about a cross platform toolkit implementing platform specific features...
      Yeah, if it's hardware specific features, at least one can claim that "Oh my shiny new card got functions ahead of all other brands. They will eventually catch up." But OS specific?

Comment

I have some reservations against these extensions. Khronos caving in before software giant Google. If you're big enough you can have your own private "extension"?

Comment

VK_EXT_physical_device_drm

This extension provides new facilities to query DRM properties for physical devices, enabling users to match Vulkan physical devices with DRM nodes on Linux.
          Oh, look, a Linux Vulkan extension.

Also, check: 33. Window System Integration (WSI). That's basically nothing but OS specific stuff. Y'all are gonna love 33.2.3.

Comment

While Vulkan's WSI chapter holds various platform-specific extensions, it also clearly aims to support different creation methods with a unified abstracted surface object as a result... and there is just that single platform-specific method for each... to the point that using and even destroying the resulting surface is done via unified methods.

It's impossible to completely abstract away the platforms, but this is clearly a best-effort unification, not the wild west.

Also, regarding other extensions, I am not intimate with the governance involved, but I do know there is a history of vendor-specific extensions later being revised into general-purpose extensions and even into the core specification...

Comment

Originally posted by lowflyer View Post
              I have some reservations against these extensions. Khronos caving in before software giant Google. If you're big enough you can have your own private "extension"?
              That's fine. Khronos did not cave here, because vendors can always make as many extensions as they want, as long as they register the names. Non-EXT and non-KHR extensions are pretty unilateral things...

What Khronos did fully cave on recently is oligarchical collectivism from Google though.

Comment

[rant mode on]
                guess what's 1000x more obnoxious, toxic and destructive than implementing inclusive language in software?

yes, actively complaining and fighting against it everywhere without any context or explicit legitimate motivation

we were talking about software, but oh no! someone just had to try to derail it, because god help us all if we are tortured into not using our favourite racist slur! that's such a crime that it just has to be THE topic EVERYWHERE, ALL THE TIME!
                [rant mode off]

can we please stay on topic?

Comment

Originally posted by krOoze View Post

That's fine. Khronos did not cave here, because vendors can always make as many extensions as they want, as long as they register the names. Non-EXT and non-KHR extensions are pretty unilateral things...

What Khronos did fully cave on recently is oligarchical collectivism from Google though.
                  That's pretty insane. In one of my first English lessons, my teacher (God rest his soul, he was such a great man - am I still allowed to say this?) taught me that in English "man" is often synonym to "person/people". Not anymore, it seems.

On topic, I can somehow understand having some Windows specific stuff in there. Windows is still a behemoth, after all. But Fuchsia? I couldn't get a Fuchsia enabled device today if my life depended on it

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

That's pretty insane. In one of my first English lessons, my teacher (God rest his soul, he was such a great man - am I still allowed to say this?) taught me that in English "man" is often synonym to "person/people". Not anymore, it seems.
                    I think that's pretty universal. In Dutch, we also use “man” and “boys” when referring a person/people.

Comment

Working...
                    X