Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vulkan Video Decoding Still In The Early Stages For Open-Source

Phoronix: Vulkan Video Decoding Still In The Early Stages For Open-Source

Going public back in April was the provisional specification around the Vulkan Video extensions as a new industry-standard video encode/decode interface. While several months have passed, there hasn't been much activity yet in the open-source space around Vulkan Video...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Ideally OpenSource should be driving this process, not following behind. So implement AV1 and VP9 now and tell Kronos how it is to be done.

Why wait for closed source to decide the stuff? I’m sure Kronos don’t mind who designs APIs…

Comment

Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post
      Ideally OpenSource should be driving this process, not following behind. So implement AV1 and VP9 now and tell Kronos how it is to be done.

Why wait for closed source to decide the stuff? I’m sure Kronos don’t mind who designs APIs…
      I agree.

Where's FFMpeg and other stubborn folks to make pressure on this? What about MESA? What about Xorg/Wayland? What about GStreamer? What about mpv?

I hope Vulkan finally solves the media envoding/decoding APIs mess the ecosystem is still suffering and we the users too.

I would like Vulkan finally becomes a full DirectX competitor but open and cleaner. I would like to absorb SDL in some way too, specially input APIs...

Comment

Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post

they don't mind, that is why extension so far is experimental and is only proposed by Nvidia. Intel and AMD (and probably open source contributors) might and probably will contribute.

Vulkan raytracing was done this way and concerns from AMD/Intel were taken into account and now we have finalized standard for Vulkan raytracing. I expect similar process for Vulkan Video.

Also i think one more reason why H264 is done first, is because hardware acceleration in H264/H265 standards is much more widespread comparing to VP9/AV1, so more companies outside AMD/Intel might contribute towards it.
        Last edited by piotrj3; 21 September 2021, 09:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

I agree.

Where's FFMpeg and other stubborn folks to make pressure on this? What about MESA? What about Xorg/Wayland? What about GStreamer? What about mpv?

I hope Vulkan finally solves the media envoding/decoding APIs mess the ecosystem is still suffering and we the users too.

I would like Vulkan finally becomes a full DirectX competitor but open and cleaner. I would like to absorb SDL in some way too, specially input APIs...
          Vulkan is not a DirectX alternative, it’s a Direct3D(12) one. So why should it be bloated with non rendering features ? What’s wrong with SDL + Vulkan ?

Also being late in implementing features means that they can learn from previous designs, hence ending up with the best specs.

Comment

Originally posted by rmfx View Post

Vulkan is not a DirectX alternative, it’s a Direct3D(12) one. So why should it be bloated with non rendering features ? What’s wrong with SDL + Vulkan ?

Also being late in implementing features means that they can learn from previous designs, hence ending up with the best specs.
            Just call it X, but I think there's need of a standard that competes DirectX.

What about merging Vulkan and SDL then call it something else?

Comment

Working...
            X