Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vulkan 1.2.185 Introduces Several New Extensions - Includes Presentation Work Led By Valve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyway, anybody got any blog post where I can educate myself what are these extensions for in practical terms?

Comment

Jeez people. Do you have nothing better to do than wordpolicing for three pages. Back to topic, yo.

Originally posted by jntesteves View Post

I personally think it's kinda unacceptable to publish a final specification with an extension lacking documentation when all the Vulkan spec actually is is documentation. Something seems off.
      Seems like a mistake. The published extension is actually VK_HUAWEI_invocation_mask and at the first sight seems documented.

That being said, individual vendors can do whatever they want. The important part is they reserve API names. Rest is their own problem and their shame if it is poorly documented.

Originally posted by tehehe View Post
      Anyway, anybody got any blog post where I can educate myself what are these extensions for in practical terms?
      Its not overly complicated. VK_KHR_present_id adds mechanism to mark present requests with a 64 bit ID. The extension does not do anything useful in of itself.

VK_KHR_present_wait adds the command vkWaitForPresentKHR, which blocks until all presents with specific IDs have finished. It is similar to IDXGISwapChain2::GetFrameLatencyWaitableObject in DirectX. It allows to keep the input latency down, as you can make sure not too many present requests have piled up. You could also have some measure of control of pacing even for non-interactive apps, but more nuanced extension allowing to query timing when stuff appers on screen will come later. Previously the present requests were more of a fire-and-forget thing.
      Last edited by krOoze; 21 July 2021, 07:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X