Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vulkan 1.2.185 Introduces Several New Extensions - Includes Presentation Work Led By Valve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pranav View Post

I totally agree.
    And I'm also not a native english speaker. And to use words like "to christen" instead of "to release" is a bit of overkill.
    Same for me, it's weird and makes me think the author is obsessed with religion or mocking somebody (I don't mind it but this place isn't for showcasing it).

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
      (disclaimer: I'm not a native english speaker)

"To christen" isn't as common verb as "to release", probably more common in religious scenarios as the most common translation in my language is "to baptize" instead of "to name/nominate"

I know they have different semantical meanings, just my 2 cents
      Originally posted by pranav View Post
      I totally agree.
      And I'm also not a native english speaker. And to use words like "to christen" instead of "to release" is a bit of overkill.
      I understand the problem I agree with both of you as a native english speaker that its not a good thing. But I will give you explain where the horrible mess comes christened in english IT documents comes from.

Please note christen I have never seen appear in english IT related documents it always christened with question of what word is really released or renamed with the possibility of both released and renamed. https://www.cio.com/article/2446285/...orton-360.html
      Yes not a new problem.

This is a history thing and language thing and a religion thing and maritime thing all mixed up to converted into english information technology/computer term of horrible. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceremonial_ship_launching christened to equal released comes from the boat/ship usage where you released a bottle of wine or equal to do it and yes you do this to rename a boat as well. Yes language usage bastardisation in the IT field. Please note christened correct replacement is this case is released

Personally I am a english speaker and I would prefer if the usage of christened goes away in English information technology/computer documents because it has three annoying meanings christened as in renamed or christened as in released or christened as in renamed and released at the same time.

Of course christened translates horriblely into other languages.

andrei and pranav it really does not help that the usage of christened at times in english information technology/computer documents can be as clear as mud as in what was this christened bit is even to native english speakers.

Yes it fun when you see a bit of software that been renamed and its old name is written up has christened and the new name is not mentioned. There are cases where this happens in english information technology/computer documents and this is really horrible way to waste hours attempting to find something under the completely wrong name. The fact christened a clear as mud thing to us native english speakers at times it does not help you non natives speakers at all.
      Last edited by oiaohm; 20 July 2021, 02:31 PM.

Comment

INFORMAL
        use for the first time.
        "he bought a new pair of boots and christened them with his first goal at the McAlpine Stadium"

nothing to do with religion. English is a complicated language but unless youre willing enter it with an open mind you wont get anywhere. As i would with any other language

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post

I understand the problem I agree with both of you as a native english speaker that its not a good thing. But I will give you explain where the horrible mess comes christened in english IT documents comes from.

Please note christen I have never seen appear in english IT related documents it always christened with question of what word is really released or renamed with the possibility of both released and renamed. https://www.cio.com/article/2446285/...orton-360.html
          Yes not a new problem.

This is a history thing and language thing and a religion thing and maritime thing all mixed up to converted into english information technology/computer term of horrible. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceremonial_ship_launching christened to equal released comes from the boat/ship usage where you released a bottle of wine or equal to do it and yes you do this to rename a boat as well. Yes language usage bastardisation in the IT field. Please note christened correct replacement is this case is released

Personally I am a english speaker and I would prefer if the usage of christened goes away in English information technology/computer documents because it has three annoying meanings christened as in renamed or christened as in released or christened as in renamed and released at the same time.

Of course christened translates horriblely into other languages.

andrei and pranav it really does not help that the usage of christened at times in english information technology/computer documents can be as clear as mud as in what was this christened bit is even to native english speakers.

Yes it fun when you see a bit of software that been renamed and its old name is written up has christened and the new name is not mentioned. There are cases where this happens in english information technology/computer documents and this is really horrible way to waste hours attempting to find something under the completely wrong name. The fact christened a clear as mud thing to us native english speakers at times it does not help you non natives speakers at all.
          Are you a ClosedAI GPT-3 bot? I'm impressed by how much you type.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            Michael

Please use neutral words for an international reader audience with words that are clear and unambiguous that precisely and accurately describes things and events instead of using synonyms. Write "released", not "christened".
            Incredible. I thought Phoronix was one of the few places where people are still normal. And to the people saying they have trouble translating... use the dictionary, pals. I'm not English-native and when I find a word which is new to me, I just look up in the dictionary (I love to learn a rich vocabulary).

Comment

Originally posted by cesarcafe View Post
              Incredible. I thought Phoronix was one of the few places where people are still normal.
              Yes, we've all been under the impression that there were only sane and reasonable Phoronix members until this christened debate. This event marks a sad turn, I fear the future.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
                Yes, we've all been under the impression that there were only sane and reasonable Phoronix members until this christened debate. This event marks a sad turn, I fear the future.
                It seems I wasn't clear enough. Normal people are those who don't need to censor words that have been used for centuries with good will, and that everybody understands correctly with no negative meaning. The fact that a new ideology wants to change the world is just symptom of danger (remember Hitler, who, by the way, won the election, people got crazy and voted him, so it shows that radical changing trends are usually wrong and harmful). Even wasting money, time, and resources (renaming master branches in repos, just to pick an example) is very telling on how problematic this new ideology has become.

Comment

Originally posted by AHOY View Post
                  Are you a ClosedAI GPT-3 bot? I'm impressed by how much you type.
                  I am a human. I just type at over 75 words per min when coping when I am on fly from my own mind I can spike out at 120 words per min sometimes for a complete post. Yes some of reason why some of my posts are long is stupid simple because it would have taken me longer to make them shorter. Welcome to one of the straight effects of having a high typing speed. A general slow typing person I can type 6 times as much of them for the same amount of time invested. My posts would not look that impressive if you divide it size to 1/6.

Comment

It seems I wasn't clear enough. Normal people are those who don't need to censor words that have been used for centuries with good will, and that everybody understands correctly with no negative meaning. The fact that a new ideology wants to change the world is just symptom of danger (remember Hitler, who, by the way, won the election, people got crazy and voted him, so it shows that radical changing trends are usually wrong and harmful). Even wasting money, time, and resources (renaming master branches in repos, just to pick an example) is very telling on how problematic this new ideology has become.
                    I'm totally agree. You clearly expressed my thoughts about censoring words

Comment

Incredible. I thought Phoronix was one of the few places where people are still normal. And to the people saying they have trouble translating... use the dictionary, pals. I'm not English-native and when I find a word which is new to me, I just look up in the dictionary (I love to learn a rich vocabulary).
                      The problem here is if you do attempt to look up christened in a generic english dictionary you will not find meaning that covers this use case.

The define general dictionary meaning that it common to all english dictionaries is to name something(person or item) or something used for the first time. The release of vulkan ticks neither boxes. This usage language bastardisation in the information technology field and it only in some of the some of the dictionaries of field not all.

Please note the release number of vulkan that more like your age. "Your name" 18 vs "Your name" 21 as you at 18 and you at 21 you would not say you have been christened both times right as it does not make sense. It would have been right to use the term christened for the first release of Vulkan ever as in Vulkan 1.0 on February 16, 2016 but using the word christened after that is not defined as valid in you general dictionaries.

Something else to be aware of is your define of christened and baptised/baptized is meant to be absolute identical other than christened being used by christian based/related religions. Yet in the computer field we break this.

No this is not like the master branch rename or stuff like this.

Originally posted by RedEyed View Post
                      I'm totally agree. You clearly expressed my thoughts about censoring words
                      I not for censoring words in general. There are cases were some thing is language bastardisation. The usage of christened here is and its clearly given away to be language bastardisation by the fact its not included in your general dictionaries as a usage case.

Please note am not calling for the use of "neutral words" I do agree this is commonly used to excuse censorship. Its valid for a translation engine to swap christened and baptised/baptized with each other. Yes it been christian english programmers work worked in different english speaking navy countries who started the language bastardisation of using christened for releases. Not all native english speaking people will read the usage of christened for the vulkan release here either.

Please also note some companies train their staff use the term "neutral words' not for censorship but as a term meaning "avoid using field particular usages of words that are language bastardisation". This predates the master branch stuff and "neutral words" being used this way is first documented in the 1800s. Yes someone asking for the use of "neutral words" it pays to presume the best case first that a word may been used in a language bastardisation way so look up a dictionary before going all boots in.

This is a simple case its a bad word choice. Released in this case would have been the most correct word.

Comment

Working...
                      X