Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vulkan 1.2.184 Includes NVIDIA Extension For RDMA Usage

Phoronix: Vulkan 1.2.184 Includes NVIDIA Extension For RDMA Usage

Last year I wrote about NVIDIA working on Vulkan support for RDMA memory. That work around RDMA (Remote Direct Memory Access) memory usage in the Vulkan context is now available with today's Vulkan 1.2.184 specification update...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Could this also be used to develop a Linux equivalent to Microsoft Direct Storage API ?

Comment

Originally posted by spykes View Post
      Could this also be used to develop a Linux equivalent to Microsoft Direct Storage API ?
      If there are drivers and an API allowing for a disk to be as an RDMA transfer source the same there already are for networking, I don't see why it couldn't be used for this.

Comment

Personally I really like Nvidia for making Vulkan so full of features and everything. Considering ability of Vulkan compute, and DirectStorage itself, I find Vulkan more and more an API to replace anything GPU related.

Comment

Originally posted by piotrj3 View Post
          Considering ability of Vulkan compute, and DirectStorage itself, I find Vulkan more and more an API to replace anything GPU related.
          Vulkan Compute makes different (lower) precision guarantees than OpenCL or presumably CUDA. IMO, it remains to be seen whether it's a viable replacement for all GPU compute scenarios, but it's far and away the most cumbersome API of the lot! It makes even OpenGL seem like a walk in the park, and that's saying something!

Comment

Working...
          X