X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sarmad
    replied
    Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

Somebody's hobby. If they're having fun, why complain?
    Not complaining, just pointing out that there are a lot of other projects that could benefit from the efforts.

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied
    Originally posted by sarmad View Post
    What's the purpose behind this? Sounds like a waste of time.
    Somebody's hobby. If they're having fun, why complain?

Leave a comment:

• sarmad
    replied
    What's the purpose behind this? Sounds like a waste of time.

Leave a comment:

• libcg_
    replied
    Vulkan is a more generalized and refined version of Mantle, like a 2.0 version.

The main difference lies in how descriptor sets are handled, GRVK currently implements it accurately but it's extremely slow and uses too much memory, it will need rework. The shader format is also different, AMDIL vs SPIR-V, but it proved to be less of a pain point than I envisioned because AMDIL is quite similar to DXBC.

Leave a comment:

• FireBurn
    replied
    Civilization V supported Mantle for sure

Leave a comment:

• dragon321
    replied
    Originally posted by Adarion View Post
    I thought Mantle and Vulkan are very similar. But I only know from hearsay. And yes, I only remember one or two games maybe supporting it, then Vulkan specs were released and everyone went Vulkan.
    Vulkan is indeed similar to Mantle, mostly because Mantle was donated to Khronos Group by AMD. Some Vulkan API functions are the same as they were on Mantle, only prefix changed from "gr" to "vk". On the other hand Vulkan is not identical to Mantle - there are some differences like render passes. This is probably caused by the fact that Vulkan was also designed to work on mobile GPUs while Mantle was limited to desktop GPUs.

Leave a comment:

• microcode
    replied
    Crashing NVIDIA drivers was my life, when I was writing graphics applications lol.

Leave a comment:

• Turbine
    replied
    Originally posted by Adarion View Post
    I thought Mantle and Vulkan are very similar. But I only know from hearsay. And yes, I only remember one or two games maybe supporting it, then Vulkan specs were released and everyone went Vulkan.
    You're correct. It's somewhat based off of Mantle. They offered it to the Khronos Group. It was more of a working proof of concept.

Leave a comment:

• Adarion
    replied

Leave a comment:

• StandaSK
    replied
    Originally posted by theriddick View Post
    I do believe Dragon Age Inquisition had Mantle API support? or was that just 16bit floats? I can't remember now.
    Yes, it seems Dragon Age: Inquisition is one of the few games that supported Mantle. Not sure how well it worked though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catego...rt_Mantle_(API)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X