Vulkan Video Arrives For New Industry-Standard Video Encode/Decode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vulkan Video Arrives For New Industry-Standard Video Encode/Decode

Phoronix: Vulkan Video Arrives For New Industry-Standard Video Encode/Decode

For years we have been eager to learn more about the long mentioned Vulkan Video API, which was supposed to come in H1-2020, but now has finally arrived with today's v1.2.175 update in provisional form. The new Vulkan Video extensions allow for GPU-accelerated video encode/decode. The initial public work is treated as a provisional specification and with limited codec coverage but will be expanded upon in time...

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...ovisional-Spec

Wow, that's great !
    Hopefully they add support for high quality features like 4K - 8K resolution, 10-12 bit, 60-120 FPS, HDR
    Sending HDR metadata to the TV would be also very nice to have.

Comment

Hopefully supporting HEVC isn't going to be mandatory. H264 is a necessary evil (patents expire soon), but H265 seems to not be taking off anyway. Seems unfortunate to bake it into the specs.

Comment

Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post
        Hopefully supporting HEVC isn't going to be mandatory. H264 is a necessary evil (patents expire soon), but H265 seems to not be taking off anyway. Seems unfortunate to bake it into the specs.
        The encode/decode and each codec are all separate extensions.
        Michael Larabel
        http://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

So is this the end of VAAPI?

Comment

Originally posted by lumks View Post
            Just wait a bit for the VAAPI Folks ...as with X11/Wayland there will be some guys poping up and start argueing why VAAPI will never be dead

Comment

Originally posted by lumks View Post
              Not by a long shot. The only platform that has mandatory Vulkan support (that I know of) is Android. And we're talking Android 10+ and only Vulkan 1.1 support.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

Just wait a bit for the VAAPI Folks ...as with X11/Wayland there will be some guys poping up and start argueing why VAAPI will never be dead
                Like how VAAPI works fine on GPUs where there isn't a Vulkan driver like my laptop (AMD PALM - r600). Mind you, I would quite like a Vulkan driver the capable pre-GCN GPUs as I have a couple.

Comment

Does this expose the hardware video codec decode API from the driver directly to the Vulkan spec? Or is this just decoding on regular GPU computing units? If latter, I don't see it replacing VAAPI yet. The first option would be cool.

Comment

Is this a new and more efficient way to interface with an UVD?

Comment

Working...
                    X