V3DV Vulkan Driver Enjoys More Optimizations To Help The Raspberry Pi 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V3DV Vulkan Driver Enjoys More Optimizations To Help The Raspberry Pi 4

Phoronix: V3DV Vulkan Driver Enjoys More Optimizations To Help The Raspberry Pi 4

Igalia has outlined some of the recent V3D compiler work they've been engaging in to help with the Vulkan driver performance on the Raspberry Pi 4 while the compiler back-end work also benefits the Mesa OpenGL driver too...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great work!
    Hopefully KDE Plasma will have a Vulkan backend one day to take advantage of this and have better performance on these devices.

Comment

i'm more interested in pi 4 being capable of youtube playback @1080p

Comment

Originally posted by loganj View Post
        i'm more interested in pi 4 being capable of youtube playback @1080p
        Are you using Wayland yet? I'm using Wayland with the Wayfire compositor, Mesa 20.3.4 with vulkan and wayland support, and mpv 0.33.0 video player. 1080p video full screen is running very nicely now. I don't know about streaming Youtube @ 1080p inside a web browser (since I don't do that), but already downloaded videos playing with mpv are working great for me.

Previously, using X11, video playback was a mess of screen tearing problems. The situation is much improved now, thanks to Wayland.
        Last edited by ed31337; 17 March 2021, 12:59 AM.

Comment

ed31337 i don't have it since i can't afford it lol. but i keep track of its performance in case i'll manage to get one

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
            Great work!
            Hopefully KDE Plasma will have a Vulkan backend one day to take advantage of this and have better performance on these devices.
            Lets wait for KDE 6 as qt6 already has vulkan backend

Comment

Wonder if this helps Dolphin and PPSSPP. Notice they are absent from the testing charts.

Comment

Working...
              X