Updated Portal 2 Vulkan Rendering Code Yielding Great Radeon Results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Updated Portal 2 Vulkan Rendering Code Yielding Great Radeon Results

Phoronix: Updated Portal 2 Vulkan Rendering Code Yielding Great Radeon Results

Valve on Monday rolled out a new Portal 2 build that improves its new Vulkan renderer support. For those interested here are some fresh benchmarks of Portal 2 with OpenGL and Vulkan on the open-source AMD Radeon Linux drivers.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I feel they're doing this for eventually publishing on a small console (e.g. Atari VCS or Intellivision Amico), or on mobile....

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      I feel they're doing this for eventually publishing on a small console (e.g. Atari VCS or Intellivision Amico), or on mobile....
      I guess they're testing this implementation out before rolling it out to other Source 1 games, like CS:GO.

Comment

It would be nice if the loading screens didn't appear so often. I've got this thing running on an m.2 SSD, 5700XT, and Ryzen 3600 and the loading times between scenes is super jarring.

Comment

Originally posted by lyamc View Post
          It would be nice if the loading screens didn't appear so often. I've got this thing running on an m.2 SSD, 5700XT, and Ryzen 3600 and the loading times between scenes is super jarring.
          You just described why I've never been able to finish Half Life. One of these days I'll get around to firing up Black Mesa....it's in the backlog.

Comment

Originally posted by lyamc View Post
            Maybe they are parsing JSON?

( referenciing the recent GTA V multiplayer load time hack).

Well, I think it's rather a tech demo/experiment. Maybe they'll improve Wine libraries as well to help create a portable environment, or a one-click Linux/Mac port?

BTW, does this run on Macs?

Comment

Posted my 6900XT results on gamingonlinux.com but I thought you might be interested as well.

Siduction (Debian sid based), kernel 5.11.1, Mesa git 21.1
              8700K, 6900XT, 3440x1440

Portal 2 timedemo portal2bench (Reddit)
              All video settings max/min, vsync off, multicore enabled. 3 run avg FPS.

Code:
              Min settings vs Max settings, 2 weeks ago
              OpenGL   722 vs 562 fps avg
              RADV     981 vs 238 fps avg

Min settings vs Max settings, new patch today
              OpenGL   745 vs 580 fps avg
              RADV    1010 vs 805 fps avg
              Screenshot with MangoHud up

Comment

In that Openbenchmarking.org table it lists the processor as
                Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core @ 6.92GHz (16 Cores / 32 Threads)
                Pretty hefty overclock that you have there. Where does that number come from?

Comment

Originally posted by Tomin View Post
                  In that Openbenchmarking.org table it lists the processor as

Pretty hefty overclock that you have there. Where does that number come from?
                  That's from a bug currently in the kernel, well, the fix will be in the next 5.11 point release. The borked frequencies are exposed via cpufreq/sysfs.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I also see a pretty substantial boost on my R9 390 at 1080p all max, 2xMSAA.

another thing I noticed with the first Vulkan update is that, for me at least, some shadows and ambient lighting effects are broken on GL. easy to miss but obvious when comparing to Vukan screenshots.

the update(s) are not all trouble free, though. at least on my hardware, mouse input becomes buggy and unreliable when not playing at native resolution. native 1080p is perfect 1:1 mouse response as you would expect, but 720p or anything 4:3 stretch fullscreen and mouse movement is selectively ignored below a certain speed.
                    this only happens with scaling, reduced res is fine when windowed.

Comment

Working...
                    X