Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by loganj View Post
    ''Enjoying Phenomenal Success'
    i wouldn't go as far as phenomenal considering that its still not that well spread compared to dx
    Well, 5 years is a small period and it is became so popular and useful.
    Don't forget that vulkan is used on Android, not only on 1% of desktop linux

Comment

i wouldn't go as far as phenomenal considering that its still not that well spread compared to dx
      It's very widespread compared to Dx12. Anyone who does a significant amount of gaming has figured out by now that DX12 is generally slower than DX11 whereas Vulkan is faster, which is why there's barely any DX12 adoption and Vulkan is dominating it. It's just DX11 is an easier API so a lot of games still use it.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
        For a "phenomenal success" I would have expected at least one "Vulkan overtakes <insert_3D_gfx_api_here>" title on that list.
        It kind of overtook OpenGL (not ES). At least for new releases.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
          Elephants in the room are MS, Sony and Apple who still refuse to support Vulkan. Everyone else does.
          Add Microsoft, whose Xbox doesn't support Vulkan, thereby disincentivizing Vulkan games on Windows, and you've basically defined the entire elephant herd. Mainstream-wise Vulkan is big only via Android and google is screwing up on gaming (see Stadia).

Comment

It work on Windows 7, it works on Linux, it works on Android. The only operating systems that I care about.
            and I can play Windows games on Linux with better performance than on Windows itself.
            For me that's definitely a phenomenal success!

Comment

Well DX has more flagship titles with big names and big companies behind it.
              BUT overall vulkan use in applications and github etc.. Vulkan wins.
              However the masses will always have their eyes on big game titles and such so vulkan gets a back seat audience regardless of how much use it gets.

Doesn't help that DX has an entire console system dedicated to its use!

Comment

Thank you AMD for giving the whole ecosystem the hugely needed kickstart with Mantle API.
                Thank you AMD for investing continually into Linux and more generally open source ecosystem.

Even if the first intent behind is to to follow your own interest, it does help community as a whole, and you're playing fair about it, that's what really matters.

EDIT: for those saying "it's not phenomenal compared to DirectX"...
                Although this is dark humor comparison, see it like Covid. For now it's still on the "ramp start" phase, but before 2025 it will have acquired enough weight that it will start being considered for every new project (aka "on the rocket part of the line") and from there it will only go up.
                People are simply fed up with proprietary technologies as a whole, that's a subterranean movement, but it's there. Too many big companies abused their locking softwares and technologies to impose abusive conditions like "change how licences are counted" or "hey I'll increase rates by 30%, no you don't have a choice". It took time, sometimes (too) much time for companies of various sizes to really grasp, admit and strategize upon that fact, but it started 10 years ago.
                (That is incidentally why so many of those software editors are trying to reel clients back in with cloud services).

I understand Vulkan by itself is not as "large" in functional perimeter as DirectX (graphics only vs display+audio+controller), and that it's lower-level, but the traction it got will help shore up those flaws in the years to come.

And although Microsoft won't ever admit it, games were a big reason for their durable success on operating systems for "simple individuals". I'm keen to see gaming industry will evolve in this decade... ^^
                Last edited by Citan; 17 February 2021, 07:20 AM.

Comment

Now here's hoping Nouveau gets Vulkan support before my GTX 960M laptop dies and/or nothing fundamental drops OpenGL for Vulkan, hearing about Zink now supporting OpenGL 4.6 while Nouveau is still at 4.3 scares me a little bit.

Comment

Working...
                  X