The Vulkan API Is Now Five Years Old And Enjoying Phenomenal Success

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Vulkan API Is Now Five Years Old And Enjoying Phenomenal Success

Phoronix: The Vulkan API Is Now Five Years Old And Enjoying Phenomenal Success

Today marks five years since the announcement of Vulkan 1.0. Over the past five years we have seen incredible adoption of this high performance graphics API across multiple platforms, open-source Vulkan drivers that are kept up to date well with the latest spec revisions, exciting new extensions, and the spec continues to receive new extensions and revisions on an almost bi-weekly basis...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Are we talking about a gaming API? Well, in this case Vulkan is far from a smashing success - absolute most PC games are still released using D3D 11/12 while the number of Vulkan games is still relatively low (I guess less than 3%).

Vulkan is a success in terms of allowing to emulate other graphics APIs, that's for sure.

Comment

''Enjoying Phenomenal Success'
      i wouldn't go as far as phenomenal considering that its still not that well spread compared to dx

Comment

Making niche Linux gamers like myself very happy! Thanks Vulkan team! And thanks to all of you devs and hackers out there that implement it in the use of making more windows games run on Linux!
        Last edited by creative; 16 February 2021, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by loganj View Post
          i wouldn't go as far as phenomenal considering that its still not that well spread compared to dx
          Well, you can only get so far with features and advantages. The rest will always be in the hands of the human factor and their motives are sadly all over the place. The zeitgeist tends to be rather free from facts anyways. With that in mind, the degree of adoption at this point is really great imho.

Comment

Elephants in the room are MS, Sony and Apple who still refuse to support Vulkan. Everyone else does.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
              Elephants in the room are MS, Sony and Apple who still refuse to support Vulkan. Everyone else does.
              PC Linux master race.

Had to throw that joke in there, since its a thing that PC gamers do.
              Last edited by creative; 16 February 2021, 08:05 PM.

Comment

Thanks AMD (and Khronos Group)

Comment

Originally posted by loganj View Post
                  I can run windows native DirectX games in Linux with Vulkan, and get better performance than Windows.
                  That's phenomenal.

Comment

For a "phenomenal success" I would have expected at least one "Vulkan overtakes <insert_3D_gfx_api_here>" title on that list.

Comment

Working...
                    X