Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There's Finally A Decent Vulkan Ray-Tracing Benchmark

Phoronix: There's Finally A Decent Vulkan Ray-Tracing Benchmark

While so far only the NVIDIA proprietary driver on Linux supports the Vulkan ray-tracing extensions, eventually we will see support for these new Vulkan extensions with the AMD Vulkan drivers for the Radeon RX 6000 series and newer. There has also been work by Intel in preparing for Vulkan ray-tracing with Xe HPG. For when the time comes to test those implementations, there is finally one good, open-source, automated Vulkan RT benchmark so far...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Too bad AMD didn't have RT already available on their Linux drivers, to avoid people creating RT implementations based only on Nvidia stuff. I suspect we will have another wave of "NvidiaGL" software that will run like crap on AMD cards.

Comment

I'll check, but I thought our closed-source Vulkan driver included ray tracing support.
      Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        I'll check, but I thought our closed-source Vulkan driver included ray tracing support.
        I think the RT for Vulkan support has only been released on Windows yet.

Comment

Originally posted by BNieuwenhuizen View Post

I think the RT for Vulkan support has only been released on Windows yet.
          Intel is working on supporting it: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/-/issues/3709

Will AMD add support after?

Comment

Originally posted by Laughing1 View Post
            Intel is working on supporting it: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/-/issues/3709

Will AMD add support after?
            I checked with our Vulkan team and they confirmed that we do support ray tracing in the closed source Vulkan driver for both Linux and Windows.

Just had a nagging thought - the Vulkan ray tracing extension may have only been provisional at Navi21 launch. It appears that we might have enabled RT support after the extension was ratified, and then re-spun the 20.45 driver package for Windows but not for Linux. Checking now.

EDIT - I'm now getting conflicting answers about RT support in the Linux driver - hold on until we get consensus.
            Last edited by bridgman; 09 February 2021, 11:23 PM.
            Test signature

Comment

This being a new benchmark and everything, it would have been nice if you included a representative screenshot of each benchmark.

@M@GOid Check the github page. It says the benchmark was developed for Nvidia initially, but was converted to plain Vulkan as extensions got approved/standardized.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                This being a new benchmark and everything, it would have been nice if you included a representative screenshot of each benchmark.

@M@GOid Check the github page. It says the benchmark was developed for Nvidia initially, but was converted to plain Vulkan as extensions got approved/standardized.
                Go to the linked OpenBenchmarking.org page... There are screenshots of each test.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Go to the linked OpenBenchmarking.org page... There are screenshots of each test.
                  Yeah, copied from the github page. I've seen them, but I still don't know which is which.

Funny thing, when I saw it work with Nvidia cards I started looking about installing it. Then I realized I'm still on Pascal

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Yeah, copied from the github page. I've seen them, but I still don't know which is which.

Funny thing, when I saw it work with Nvidia cards I started looking about installing it. Then I realized I'm still on Pascal
                    The OpenBenchmarking.org screenshots I took, but the scenes are static so basically appear the same...
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X