Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackberry Is Bringing Vulkan To QNX

Phoronix: Blackberry Is Bringing Vulkan To QNX

The newest platform working on Vulkan API support is... Blackberry's QNX...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is QNX still relevant outside legacy and contract support as in IBM AIX?

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
      It never was a general purpose OS, but it's still highly relevant in e.g. automotive industries.

Comment

Emphatically yes. QNX is still very common, including among greenfield designs, in higher-end embedded, especially automotive and to some extent industrial.

Comment

I wish the Android was as responsive and swift as qnx based BBos was in (late) smartphones :S

Comment

QNX was actually quite good with the BlackBerry devices, but unfortunately, the hardware was lacking.

They were ahead of their time with the software in regards to things like the gesture-based navigation/keyboard, something which the newer iPhones use, although I feel the iOS gestures are a more inferior version.

Comment

Originally posted by szymon_g View Post
              I wish the Android was as responsive and swift as qnx based BBos was in (late) smartphones :S
              Due to it's design, i believe it will never be.
              But at least Android apps (without external/platform frameworks) are architecture-independent.

Comment

QNX is hidden everywhere. To most users, the UI is the software but for an embedded system to UI and the software are often separate (consider the brakes on your car, and how their UI is separate from the software that actually controls them). QNX has just kept quietly making things work since the 1980s, but it's not open source and it is not a relic of the 1980s PC wars so it doesn;t have a lot of midshare among the typical Phoronix reader.

In this case, the QNX that has been operating your in-dash infotainment system is surfacing as a host for display rendering.

Comment

Yes. Quite a few car manufacturers use it to power their car entertainment systems.

Comment

Originally posted by lyamc View Post
                    QNX was actually quite good with the BlackBerry devices, but unfortunately, the hardware was lacking.

They were ahead of their time with the software in regards to things like the gesture-based navigation/keyboard, something which the newer iPhones use, although I feel the iOS gestures are a more inferior version.
                    Gesture-based navigation is something everyone copied from Palm's webOS. But yes, BB did invent the keyboard gesture navigation which worked like a charm iOS and Ubuntu Touch still use that, although I feel Ubuntu Touch's keyboard navigation is better to the one in iOS because it allows you to quickly select things as well.

Overall though, BB10 was my second favorite OS ever I wish BB didn't cancel it...

Comment

Working...
                    X