Blackberry Is Bringing Vulkan To QNX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lyamc View Post
    They were ahead of their time with the software in regards to things like the gesture-based navigation/keyboard, something which the newer iPhones use, although I feel the iOS gestures are a more inferior version.
    Couldn't agree more!

Comment

I haven't been able to figure out why BlackBerry 10 failed. It had everything a power user would want, but was also friendly enough for an iOS class user to understand. Must have been marketing/brand image.

Comment

It’s quite simple why Blackberry failed:

1: They were late to the game. BB10 came out and their phones had last gen hardware, and developers had already been working on iPhone and Android. Another platform? No way they’re going to just do that.

2: Fall from glory. Media covering tech would constantly talk about how Blackberry is doing poorly or how their stocks are dropping. I was selling phones when the Z3 came out and people IN CANADA thought that Blackberry was defunct and had gone bankrupt.

It baffles me to this day how many people thought that Blackberry was dead. But, it kind of makes sense because of:

3: Identity was strongly tied to the older phones with the clicky keyboards. IMO they relied to heavily on what we now see as being a niche.

When those types of phones became obsolete, so did Blackberry.

Comment

All infotainment units on Chrysler cars run QNX. After FIAT bought Chrysler, they took QNX as their default software for all FIAT cars as well.

Comment

QNX might be the platform underneath the infotainment unit in my Chrysler Pacific minivan, but I think they had interns write the UI. It crashes, hangs, and otherwise causes a headache too often.

If I had a chance to do it over again, I would have bought a lower trim level minivan and velcroed tablets to the back of the headrests.

Originally posted by Lanz View Post
            I haven't been able to figure out why BlackBerry 10 failed. It had everything a power user would want, but was also friendly enough for an iOS class user to understand. Must have been marketing/brand image.
            I'm just a random idiot making guesses, but I would say the three things that killed Blackberry 10 were:

1. When iOS and Android started eating the market, Blackberry started getting perceived as obsolete. They had an image problem.
            2. Lack of apps.
            3. Lack of apps.

Blackberry 10 launched in 2013. At that time iOS had over 5 years of Apple and 3rd party application development, and Android had over 4 years of Google and 3rd party application development.

I think the mobile operating system wars are over. Unless a government uses anti-monopoly legislation against Apple or Google, iOS and Android will own the world.

Comment

yes the QNX infotainment units found in Chrysler and FIAT cars, is pretty bad due to the underpowered hardware (CPU mainly) and the cheap software design (bad UI interface, bad code, etc).

to be honest, its a cheap low-budget solution for Chrysler/FIAT, who don't want to spend big money.

now that FCA (the parent company of Chrysler/FIAT/etc) is in the process of merging with PSA group (parent company of Peugeot/Citroën/etc), we expect for PSA's infotainment system to prevail and replace the garbage QNX. Hopefully...

Comment

And to think Chrysler and Fiat both make shit cars.
                Hi

Comment

Working...
                X