Vulkan SDK, Tooling, Samples & Developer Guide Updated For Ray-Tracing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vulkan SDK, Tooling, Samples & Developer Guide Updated For Ray-Tracing

Phoronix: Vulkan SDK, Tooling, Samples & Developer Guide Updated For Ray-Tracing

Vulkan 1.2.162 was released at the end of November with the ratified Vulkan ray-tracing extension for multi-vendor use. The Khronos Group today is announcing the updated Vulkan SDK, tooling, code samples, and developer guide today with ray-tracing coverage included...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

And the actual link to the Vulkan SDK is:

PS: Michael sometimes is so busy posting backlinks that forgets to think about the readers.

Comment

I'm honestly surprised Linux got raytracing support so soon. I was thinking it was going to take at least another year. But, I still feel it's going to be another year or two until RT becomes properly optimized, so I'm still not going to treat it as a high priority.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        I'm honestly surprised Linux got raytracing support so soon. I was thinking it was going to take at least another year. But, I still feel it's going to be another year or two until RT becomes properly optimized, so I'm still not going to treat it as a high priority.
        Nvidia drivers supported raytracing on Linux for over the year now.

Comment

Originally posted by baryluk View Post
          Nvidia drivers supported raytracing on Linux for over the year now.
          If I'm not mistaken, it only has Vulkan RT support until very recently.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            If I'm not mistaken, it only has Vulkan RT support until very recently.
            You are mistaken.

Vulkan RT on Linux on Nvidia hardware was available since 2018-09-19 , starting with Nvidia drivers version 410.57 . Support for pre-Pascal hardware via emulation in shaders, was added on Linux in 418.52.05 in April 2019. (it was added to Windows Vulkan drivers a bit earlier). People were for example playing Q2VKPT already in January 2019 on Linux with hardware enabled raytracing on Nvidia hardware.

Comment

Working...
            X