Vulkan Comes To Apple Silicon GPUs / M1 By Means Of MoltenVK 1.1.1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Boland View Post

After getting shat on by Khronos when they donated OpenCL and not being able to evolve it like they wanted to, I don't blame them for not wanting to go down the API by committee approach again.
    Yeah, sure, I deeply agree with you: poor Apple, they do their best to make the world a better place and the world is not even grateful, what a shame.

On a serious note: have you got any links telling that story of Apple "getting shat on by Khronos"?

Comment

Originally posted by lucrus View Post

Yeah, sure, I deeply agree with you: poor Apple, they do their best to make the world a better place and the world is not even grateful, what a shame.

On a serious note: have you got any links telling that story of Apple "getting shat on by Khronos"?
      Not everything has to be so damn binary you know?... As I said in my original post, there's a bit more nuance to this situation than most people are suggesting.

With regard to Khronos, it's mainly that Apple donated OpenCL hoping to evolve it to be THE GPGPU compute language... A certain Khronos member wasn't so keen on that (guess which one). After this (and the mess that was longs peak) Apple went their own way and released Metal before work even started on what became Vulkan.

Comment

Not everything has to be so damn binary you know?... As I said in my original post, there's a bit more nuance to this situation than most people are suggesting.
        Touché.

With regard to Khronos, it's mainly that Apple donated OpenCL hoping to evolve it to be THE GPGPU compute language... A certain Khronos member wasn't so keen on that (guess which one). After this (and the mess that was longs peak) Apple went their own way and released Metal before work even started on what became Vulkan.
        So you haven't got any links, but let's assume for a while I take your word on that. Still, what happened ages ago does not justify Apple for their current bad behavior: as already said, they could easily support Vulkan too, because that's going to be the new open standard. We (software developers) are not "guess which one" so Apple can't put the the blame on us and punish us for what "guess which one" did or didn't. No one is asking them to ditch Metal if they want to keep it, but only a bit of sportmanship: they've already lost this standards game after all, regardless of who started playing first.
        Last edited by lucrus; 14 December 2020, 06:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by lucrus View Post
          Still, what happened ages ago does not justify Apple for their current bad behavior: as already said, they could easily support Vulkan too, because that's going to be the new open standard.
          It's completely fair to be frustrated by that, but Apple's not going to maintain graphics drivers for multiple APIs. Even OpenGL runs on top of Metal now with Apple Silicon. With Vulkan, the best you can hope for is the portability initiative... Apple have no issues with MoltenVK.. They're also throwing their weight behind WebGPU, so there's that.

Comment

Working...
          X