Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vulkan 1.2.164 Released With Valve's Extension For Helping Direct3D 12 Implementation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vulkan 1.2.164 Released With Valve's Extension For Helping Direct3D 12 Implementation

Phoronix: Vulkan 1.2.164 Released With Valve's Extension For Helping Direct3D 12 Implementation

Vulkan 1.2.164 is out today with the usual assortment of documentation fixes/clarifications plus two new extensions...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...2.164-Released

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Direcr3D 12 on Vulkan implementation.

Comment

All these drivers and graphics stacks are confusing to me. I have Radeon 5700 XT GPU. I know i should be running newish kernel, have MESA packages installed. But how can I install Vulkan packages? Where should I get them from on Mint? Is it advisable to install mesa and Vulkan from Mint repo?

Comment

Originally posted by piorunz View Post
        All these drivers and graphics stacks are confusing to me. I have Radeon 5700 XT GPU. I know i should be running newish kernel, have MESA packages installed. But how can I install Vulkan packages? Where should I get them from on Mint? Is it advisable to install mesa and Vulkan from Mint repo?
        No idea how fresh Mint's distribution is, but yes these are just part of Mesa. Depending on your distro they are either in a handful of packages or just one.

Comment

Originally posted by piorunz View Post
          The Mesa Vulkan packages can be installed via the mesa-vulkan-drivers package. You'll want both the 32-bit and 64-bit drivers.

$ sudo apt install mesa-vulkan-drivers mesa-vulkan-drivers:i386

You can type $ vulkaninfo | head to see the state of your Vulkan drivers.

If you want latest Mesa from git delivered daily, check out oibaf ppa. If you want latest stable versions only, check out kisak ppa.

My advice is to use latest stable (20.3.0 as of this post), unless you have a particular need for latest git. If you want to stick with Mint's version, don't install any PPA's, but it may be outdated and you'll miss out on performance gains. You can verify the installed version with $ glxinfo | grep OpenGL. If your Mesa is older than 20.2, I say use the kisak ppa. Mesa 20.2 enabled ACO backend for Vulkan by default. If you're on an older Mesa but still want ACO, place "export RADV_PERFTEST=aco" into your ~/.profile or however you like setting env variables.

That should cover everything you need. But you're not wrong that it's confusing if you're a newcomer. But Mesa, Vulkan, and Linux gaming are in a great state right now.

Comment

Vulkan exclusive full-screen? Um, yay! Gsync frequently doesn’t run as well when the game isn’t true-fullscreen. This is very welcome

Comment

Working...
            X