Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raspberry Pi's V3DV Vulkan Driver Now Supports Wayland

Phoronix: Raspberry Pi's V3DV Vulkan Driver Now Supports Wayland

Just yesterday Raspberry Pi fans were celebrating that the V3DV driver is now officially Vulkan 1.0 conformant for supporting this modern high performance graphics/compute API atop the Raspberry Pi 4 and newer. Today another milestone was reached with V3DV...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Michael shouldn't it be Mesa 21.0 instead of 20.1?

Comment

Originally posted by Mani View Post
      Michael shouldn't it be Mesa 21.0 instead of 20.1?
      Yeah fixed, thanks. Brain still messing up the date.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Now if just GNOME Shell and KDE could get support for Vulkan...

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          Now if just GNOME Shell and KDE could get support for Vulkan...
          Err, they do, don't they? For ages actually.

Comment

Originally posted by treba View Post

Err, they do, don't they? For ages actually.
            at least on the KDE front, it's still a bit flaky - i think Gnome are ahead of KDE in terms of maturity

Comment

love seeing my little pi getting goodies.

Comment

I'm not a fan of ultra-minimalistic window managers like i3 and sway, which are kind of like some weird form of obscure computing asceticism.

The Raspberry Pi OS uses LXDE for its official Desktop Environment. The widget set is a far way off from being Wayland-friendly, as it's still GTK2-based. There was once an effort to make a new simple-for-kids desktop environment which was Wayland-compatible: Maynard. But that effort sort of rolled to a stop.

So I think that Wayland progress on the Raspberry Pi will be really slow in coming, for any lightweight Desktop environment (other than KDE) that has a sizeable chunk of popularity within the Linux world, like say XFCE, or MATE. And when I say lightweight, I don't mean low RAM usage, I mean performance snappiness (and I exclude GNOME as being considered lightweight).
                Last edited by esbeeb; 26 November 2020, 12:07 AM.

Comment

I don't understand why some people think X was usable on ARM SoCs.

sway runs so much smoother I'd never consider going back to Xorg.

Comment

Originally posted by archsway View Post
                    I don't understand why some people think X was usable on ARM SoCs.

sway runs so much smoother I'd never consider going back to Xorg.
                    Because not everybody likes tiling window managers/compositors?

Comment

Working...
                    X