Raspberry Pi 4 Vulkan Driver "V3DV" Merged Into Mesa 20.3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post

It sucks but it's still better than basically anything else which will never work with FOSS firmware and mainline drivers. Hopefully they will get better at it, but better late than nothing.
    This! The mainline support at least for the older versions of RPi is still better than for 99% of all ARM SBCs out there.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

But then when people buy a Raspberry Pi 5 nothing works out-of-the-box with mainline kernel and without out-of-tree patches and special spun distributions. Then it takes years for it to just work.
      Raspberry Pi 5 will probably be very derivative of Pi 4. It could just be 4x Cortex-A75 vs. 4x Cortex-A72 with almost no other changes. GPU is a weak point but they might not increase performance significantly until another node shrink. They stayed on 40nm for a long time, will they be so quick to get off of 28nm?

By contrast, there were a lot of changes between 3B+ and 4.

Comment

Originally posted by jaxa View Post

Raspberry Pi 5 will probably be very derivative of Pi 4. It could just be 4x Cortex-A75 vs. 4x Cortex-A72 with almost no other changes. GPU is a weak point but they might not increase performance significantly until another node shrink. They stayed on 40nm for a long time, will they be so quick to get off of 28nm?

By contrast, there were a lot of changes between 3B+ and 4.
        Indeed, it is likely that the RPi 5 will have a high degree of compatibility/interoperability. I assume that there may be some I/O changes relating to PCIe (for adding NVMe or other peripherals) or some ASIC for neural networks or maybe video decoding/encoding.

Comment

it would be useful, If they at least mainline their work..

Comment

Originally posted by SgtH3nry3 View Post
            Indeed, it is likely that the RPi 5 will have a high degree of compatibility/interoperability. I assume that there may be some I/O changes relating to PCIe (for adding NVMe or other peripherals) or some ASIC for neural networks or maybe video decoding/encoding.
            This or microSD Express, but the new SOC should get at least two lanes to not lose USB3.
            ## VGA ##
            AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
            Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post

This or microSD Express, but the new SOC should get at least two lanes to not lose USB3.
              NVMe Support Likely Coming to Raspberry Pi

Support for microSD Express would be interesting. Support for theoretical future 128 TiB microSDs would be hilarious.

Comment

Wow, that's cool.

I now run Manjaro ARM (AArch64) on a Pi 4 8GB as my mini desktop workstation and found kitty (GPU accelerated terminal emulator) failed to start due to the requirement of OpenGL 3.3 (Pi 4 is only OpenGL ES 3.1 conformant and kitty developer had no interest to do backward compatibility but porting to run with Vulkan is on the roadmap).

Comment

So is it going to be part of mesamatrix.net ?

Comment

Originally posted by Grawp View Post

This! The mainline support at least for the older versions of RPi is still better than for 99% of all ARM SBCs out there.
                    May I ask what boards you've tried?

Rockchip rk3399, rk3328, Allwinner A64/H3/H6 based boards are well supported with literally no blobs.

I'm using rockpro64 (rk3399), pine64 (A64), rock64 (rk3328) and lafrite (amlogic s805x), rockpi4 (rk3399) - all running mainline kernel and mainline u-boot.

There's just a lot of hype around RPi while its specs are worse than literally any competitor. Yeah, and mainline support isn't good - you have to use patched kernel, you can't run mainline.

Comment

Originally posted by anarsoul View Post

May I ask what boards you've tried?

Rockchip rk3399, rk3328, Allwinner A64/H3/H6 based boards are well supported with literally no blobs.

I'm using rockpro64 (rk3399), pine64 (A64), rock64 (rk3328) and lafrite (amlogic s805x), rockpi4 (rk3399) - all running mainline kernel and mainline u-boot.

There's just a lot of hype around RPi while its specs are worse than literally any competitor. Yeah, and mainline support isn't good - you have to use patched kernel, you can't run mainline.
                      AFAIK all those boards have ARM Mali GPU which does not have an opensource driver.

Comment

Working...
                      X