Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raspberry Pi 4 Vulkan Driver "V3DV" Merged Into Mesa 20.3

Phoronix: Raspberry Pi 4 Vulkan Driver "V3DV" Merged Into Mesa 20.3

Good news for Raspberry Pi 4 users... The V3DV Vulkan driver developed over the past year for newer Broadcom VideoCore hardware with an emphasis on the Raspberry Pi 4 support is now mainlined in Mesa 20.3!..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hooray! Now I'll be able to learn Vulkan.

And I don't know when this happened, but sometime ago somebody fixed something in the RPi4 OpenGL chain that finally fixed my OpenGL app. Previously, it was doing something wrong with the texture calcs or something that made my app display some garbage where the same code was working fine on Android and Ubuntu x86.

So happy to be using good hardware where Linux support is not just something you throw together and then dump after releasing the product, never to bother maintaining down the road. May the Raspberry Pi live long!

Comment

will this driver be usable under X11?

Comment

i wonder if there will be a v1.1 or even better v1.2

Comment

By the time Raspberry Pi 4 will be supported in the mainline kernel without any out-of-tree patches, have full support for Vulkan, OpenGL, OpenCL and all its hardware there will be a Raspberry Pi 5.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            By the time Raspberry Pi 4 will be supported in the mainline kernel without any out-of-tree patches, have full support for Vulkan, OpenGL, OpenCL and all its hardware there will be a Raspberry Pi 5.
            Which is completely fine because no one will throw their Raspberri Pi 4 at that point.
            ## VGA ##
            AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
            Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Lets hope they will fix v-sync in kernel display driver
              It is crazy they have vulkan driver, but still problem with v-sync

Comment

Wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the work for the Pi 4 will be foundational for future Pi's

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post

Which is completely fine because no one will throw their Raspberri Pi 4 at that point.
                  But then when people buy a Raspberry Pi 5 nothing works out-of-the-box with mainline kernel and without out-of-tree patches and special spun distributions. Then it takes years for it to just work.

Comment

But then when people buy a Raspberry Pi 5 nothing works out-of-the-box with mainline kernel and without out-of-tree patches and special spun distributions. Then it takes years for it to just work.
                    It sucks but it's still better than basically anything else which will never work with FOSS firmware and mainline drivers. Hopefully they will get better at it, but better late than nothing.
                    ## VGA ##
                    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Working...
                    X