Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KWin should totally start using Vulkan.

Comment

Stock kwin has been giving me decent frame times on HD 4600 but every once in while it doesnt manage to stay under 16.6ms so it skips a frame. With all the processes running on my system I'm not too surprised, though. But I never see half rendered (tearing) frames.
      Last edited by remenic; 21 September 2020, 11:59 AM.

Comment

Maybe now kwin stop being a shit

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post

And that's why I use kwin-lowlatency.
          Give kwinft a try. I find it works even better.

Comment

Originally posted by mppix View Post
            Yes and it may be the only way to get reasonable Wayland Nvidia support.
            Very interesting. Thanks for giving some hope.
            Like everyone else I am a little frustrated with kwin. I know the guys are working hard to improve but we are still not there yet.
            Would love to see vulkan.

Comment

Originally posted by bearoso View Post
              Give kwinft a try. I find it works even better.
              My experience shows the opposite:
              Hello, I've noticed jumpy scrolling when scrolling with the mouse wheel (not autoscroll) in Firefox 80 (Webrender enabled). This is with recent kwinft git-master build, recent mesa git-master...

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
                My experience shows the opposite:
                https://gitlab.com/kwinft/kwinft/-/issues/71
                That stutter on scrolling issue in firefox. I have had that when I have turned on gl.require-hardware in firefox that is independent of windows manager/DE.

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
                  That stutter on scrolling issue in firefox. I have had that when I have turned on gl.require-hardware in firefox that is independent of windows manager/DE.
                  Then you probably had a different issue, as it's completely smooth for me with kwin-lowlatency and Picom xrender present vsync (and afair also Gnome).

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
                    Then you probably had a different issue, as it's completely smooth for me with kwin-lowlatency and Picom xrender present vsync (and afair also Gnome).
                    I run a lot of stuff that pick out single frames of tear. There is a bug in some versions of firefox when it using forced GL rendering where it shoves out a teared frame(yes it teared in the buffer firefox has passed and does this as part of general scrolling up and down). Of course if kwin is resulting in a slower frame speed could be just making that hidden bug visible. Basically its possible you have been seeing the same bug in firefox.

Not all tearing comes from vsync. Some tearing comes from opengl applications stuffing up there internal buffer management so generating a teared buffer. Solution to a teared buffer from opengl application is normally detect it and skip that buffer as the next one will be right. Of course some applications detect that they have made a teared buffer and attempt to generate a corrected one before the next sync(firefox) if that happens no tear will be visable if it does not tear will happen. Yes high latency compositor can remove the means for application send corrected buffer to hide application goof so incorrect buffer will be displayed more often not that the problem is new or unique to that compositor.

Yes there is vsync tearing of buffers and application tearing its own buffers generating buffer. Applications tearing their own buffers you really do need the compositor counter that.

Comment

No tearing nor stuttering in FF Webrender with most aggressive lag reduction in kwin-lowlatency.
                      I'm aware that FF X11 implementation has design flaws and needs work, but generally experience is as smooth as described above here.

Comment

Working...
                      X