Experiments Are Underway With Vulkan Powering The KDE Plasma Shell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Experiments Are Underway With Vulkan Powering The KDE Plasma Shell

Phoronix: Experiments Are Underway With Vulkan Powering The KDE Plasma Shell

Well known KDE developer David Edmundson has been experimenting with a Vulkan-powered KDE Plasma Shell and did manage to get things working with Qt 5.15 using a few modifications...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

No Plasma 5. Ploppers! Why not enable the option if that's where this 'tech demo' is being tested?
    Hi

Comment

and what this will give?

Comment

So they will have vulkan support before they figured out how vsync works on opengl?

Syncing to a timer offset of vblank is just a joke.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
          So they will have vulkan support before they figured out how vsync works on opengl?

This can't be stressed enough...

Comment

This is wonderful!
            With the latest advancements of Linux Vulkan drivers I dream of the day when I can use KDE Plasma on Raspberry pi with good performance.

Comment

Danny3 if you'll have a good vulkan driver for it

Comment

And that's why I use kwin-lowlatency. Gosh, I wish I tried it much earlier. I mean I heard about it a long time ago but didn't bother to try it. I started using it only recently and now I'll probably not be able to go back to vanilla kwin. What I like the most about it is that it completely eliminates stuttering with smooth scrolling in web browsers and with 60fps videos, which was my biggest annoyance with vanilla kwin.

Comment

Originally posted by loganj View Post
                  Danny3 if you'll have a good vulkan driver for it
                  What do you mean, the one that it was in the news a few days ago is not good ?
                  I was thinking that if it can play 3D games, even though they are old, it should be good enough to power a 2D desktop.

Comment

Gamescope from Valve is also vulkan. Also Valve tried steamcompmgr with opengl to fix vsync issues under X11 and it was not 100 percent successful.

Yep to fix all opengl vsync issues you need a vulkan based compositor.

The simple answer vsync under opengl no matter what you do using opengl only does not work 100 percent right because opengl standard does not give you enough information on what is happening. Vulkan being newer does.

So welcome to wacky. So reality its not really worth working out how to do opengl vsync right instead work out how to do vulkan right and use that to bash opengl applications into behaving.

Comment

Working...
                    X