GRVK 0.2 Continues Advancing This AMD Mantle To Vulkan Translation Layer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GRVK 0.2 Continues Advancing This AMD Mantle To Vulkan Translation Layer

Phoronix: GRVK 0.2 Continues Advancing This AMD Mantle To Vulkan Translation Layer

While there aren't too many Windows games out there still popular and supporting AMD's Mantle graphics API that was the precursor to Vulkan, open-source developer Clément Guérin continues work on his "GRVK" initiative for mapping Mantle on top of Vulkan as a learning exercise and for allowing those still relevant Mantle-supported games to in turn run on Vulkan...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Before people start criticizing how useless they find this project, I just want to say that I find it impressive how some people are able to reverse engineer such complex software and I hope he learns a ton while doing so!

Comment

Originally posted by GruenSein View Post
      Before people start criticizing how useless they find this project, I just want to say that I find it impressive how some people are able to reverse engineer such complex software and I hope he learns a ton while doing so!
      There will always be edge cases where a game or piece of software uses an older graphics API, mapping these older API's over a single API probably removes a lot of headache from these edgecases or older programs, so it certainly isn't useless. I wonder if there is a similar project for Glide games?

Comment

Originally posted by WolfpackN64 View Post
        There will always be edge cases where a game or piece of software uses an older graphics API, mapping these older API's over a single API probably removes a lot of headache from these edgecases or older programs, so it certainly isn't useless. I wonder if there is a similar project for Glide games?
        Well... could be the case if there was something [worth playing] that was Mantle-only. I'm not sure such a thing exists.

Comment

Originally posted by WolfpackN64 View Post

Yes, many Glide wrapper existed in the past, I think most of these projects are dead but I did repackage radeon drivers to include one of these back in the good old days. Not sure if a glide2vk one will ever append. Don't forget that most if not all these games where made in the pre-ASLR era and won't work with modern Linux distribution without disabling some of these safety features.
          Last edited by RavFX; 10 September 2020, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            Well... could be the case if there was something [worth playing] that was Mantle-only. I'm not sure such a thing exists.
            IIRC, most Mantle games are also DX11 games because it doesn't make fiscal sense to make an AMD-only game. Battlefield 4 is one of the more prominent and promoted Mantle titles that's also still being played online today and works on Linux in its current form with DXVK and Wine. I prefer it more than the Battlefield games that came afterwards.

I looked it up so here's a shameless copy of Mantle games from Wikipedia.:

Comment

Originally posted by RavFX View Post

Yes, many Glide wrapper existed in the past, I think most of these projects are dead but I did repackage radeon drivers to include one of these back in the good old days. Not sure if a glide2vk one will ever append. Don't forget that most if not all these games where made in the pre-ASLR era and won't work with modern Linux distribution without disabling some of these safety features.
              I just found this https://www.zeus-software.com/downloads/nglide - which looks like it has a vulkan backend

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post

I just found this https://www.zeus-software.com/downloads/nglide - which looks like it has a vulkan backend
                Nice to know, thanks!

It's for Windows, that explain why it work! (Windows have ASLR optional / per application) and so old non ASLR softwares still work fine without needing to turn it off system wide.

Comment

Working...
                X