X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kvark
    replied
    Originally posted by bug77 View Post

What code optimizations? Do you see Firefox lagging because of 3D operations?
    Firefox makes light use of 3D rendering, the underlying API is not a bottleneck.
    Firefox uses WebRender to render Web content on your screen, there is quite a bit of work done on GPU now, I wouldn't call it "light use". There are often cases where we lose multiple milliseconds of frame time because of the OpenGL limitations on work submission and data transfers. Rewiring WebRender to take advantage of direct memory control, queue synchonization, and free-threaded command recording can yield visible wins.

Leave a comment:

• nokipaike
    replied

Firefox makes light use of 3D rendering, the underlying API is not a bottleneck.
    do not be aggressive, they were just questions for curiosity, in the hypothesis comparing native opengl and zink, and also a reasoning that a real advantage in vulkan (exploiting the architectural advantages) requires code written on purpose to use them.

Leave a comment:

• bug77
    replied
    Originally posted by nokipaike View Post
    just out of curiosity, Firefox on Zink (which is a very soon wrapper OpenGL 4.6 to Vulkan) do you think it has some performance advantage?

i guess a real port of firefox to Vulkan has real advantages by exploiting code optimizations otherwise not possible on OpenGL.

Leave a comment:

• oleid
    replied
    I would be surprised if ffx on zink would be any faster. As the existing drivers are quite optimized. Firefox on gfx-rs is a whole different story. It is a thin wrapper above Vulkan or DirectX 12 and thus should yield performance improvements, if the port is good.

Leave a comment:

• nokipaike
    replied
    just out of curiosity, Firefox on Zink (which is a very soon wrapper OpenGL 4.6 to Vulkan) do you think it has some performance advantage?

i guess a real port of firefox to Vulkan has real advantages by exploiting code optimizations otherwise not possible on OpenGL.

Leave a comment:

• wswartzendruber
    replied
    Moving over to Vulkan stuff that doesn't need Vulkan is not something to look forward too. It increases the application's code complexity, because some stuff that OpenGL handled in the driver is now on the application to manage.
    If it's Vulkan, then Firefox should be able to issue rendering calls in parallel.

Originally posted by kvark View Post
    Also, this isn't "Mozilla's" - it's a Rust community project. Edit: And the release is for "gfx-portability" specifically, which is a Vulkan C API wrapper around gfx-rs (release is not for gfx-rs itself, which is a Rust API).
    That appears to be true. If it were Mozilla, it would be under the MPL-2.0 license, I think.
    Last edited by wswartzendruber; 26 August 2020, 11:29 AM.

Leave a comment:

• bug77
    replied
    so soon will we have firefox on top vulkan or is my imagination running too fast?
    Moving over to Vulkan stuff that doesn't need Vulkan is not something to look forward too. It increases the application's code complexity, because some stuff that OpenGL handled in the driver is now on the application to manage.

Leave a comment:

• kvark
    replied
    so soon will we have firefox on top vulkan or is my imagination running too fast?
    We had it running on Vulkan (as well as Metal and D3D12) for a while in an experimental branch. However, the last 20% of distance (to take it to production) take 80% of effort, and this is where Mozilla financial health kicked in. I don't know if we'll find resources to finish the port and ship it.

Leave a comment:

• nokipaike
    replied

Leave a comment:

• kvark
    replied
    This is a pre-release, as we are trying to migrate to Github Actions now, and we need a few iterations before we can get the release packaging working. So sorry about broken links until we get out of pre-release and make it a real one! Edit: now it's done for real - https://github.com/gfx-rs/portability/releases/tag/0.8

Also, this isn't "Mozilla's" - it's a Rust community project. Edit: And the release is for "gfx-portability" specifically, which is a Vulkan C API wrapper around gfx-rs (release is not for gfx-rs itself, which is a Rust API).
    Last edited by kvark; 25 August 2020, 11:39 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X