Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MoltenVK Update Brings Vulkan To Apple's tvOS

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • MoltenVK Update Brings Vulkan To Apple's tvOS

    Phoronix: MoltenVK Update Brings Vulkan To Apple's tvOS

    The open-source MoltenVK portability layer has already been providing Vulkan support on Apple iOS and macOS by re-mapping the Vulkan API to Apple's Metal graphics framework. With today's upate, Vulkan has now come to tvOS as well...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...date-Adds-tvOS

  • #2
    Typo:

    Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: MoltenVK Update Brings Vulkan To Apple's tvOS

    The open-source MoltenVK portability layer has already been providing Vulkan support on Apple iOS and macOS by re-mapping the Vulkan API to Apple's Metal graphics framework. With today's upate, Vulkan has now come to tvOS as well...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...date-Adds-tvOS

    Comment


    • #3
      Are there any benchmarks how this compare to native Metal?

      Comment


      • #4
        MoltenVK looks to me like the Nouveau project.
        A lot of work wasted to support the users who continue to buy crap hardware.
        I would never waste my time to support people who want to be slaves.
        If they want OpenGL / Vulkan, they should ask their masters to whom they give huge amounts of money.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
          MoltenVK looks to me like the Nouveau project.
          A lot of work wasted to support the users who continue to buy crap hardware.
          I would never waste my time to support people who want to be slaves.
          If they want OpenGL / Vulkan, they should ask their masters to whom they give huge amounts of money.
          At least it is not slow.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Steffo View Post
            Are there any benchmarks how this compare to native Metal?
            Seems to be between 40%-80% as fast as native metal, depending on how tuned the Vulkan code is.
            Some things that are best practises in Vulkan just don't map very well to Metal, and vice versa.
            Most of the performance/translation cost is extra CPU time.

            These will become more pronounced now that Apple is building its own GPUs that function very differently to AMD/Nvidia/Intel.
            There are certain Metal functions that aren't available on Vulkan (imageblocks being one).
            Last edited by Boland; 08-02-2020, 12:26 AM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
              MoltenVK looks to me like the Nouveau project.
              A lot of work wasted to support the users who continue to buy crap hardware.
              MoltenVK isn't a hardware support driver, it's a middleware that allows developers to port applications on Apple ecosystem, or write applications for iOS without being trapped into vendor lockin.

              I would never waste my time to support people who want to be slaves.
              Lol you aren't good at this "making money" thing, right?
              That's the best kind of customer, literally. Developers usually make more money from iOS apps than from Android apps, and the ability to make crossplatform apps without vendor lock-in is very valuable.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

                At least it is not slow.
                Apple hasn't interfered with it yet (to the contrary of NVIDIA vs noveau)

                Comment

                Working...
                X