NVIDIA Vulkan Beta Driver Finally Adds External Memory Host Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Vulkan Beta Driver Finally Adds External Memory Host Support

Phoronix: NVIDIA Vulkan Beta Driver Finally Adds External Memory Host Support

NVIDIA today released a new Vulkan beta driver for Linux systems at version 440.66.17...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I am very happy to see they are doing a better job at supporting Linux vs Apple OSX

Comment

I ended up downloading the CUDA install, and got a 450 level driver with it

Comment

Still no source code

Comment

What does it fix VK_EXT_external_memory_host? It improves performance in some scenarios?

Comment

After seeing the raging success that is amdgpu, I'd really like to see Nvidia do something similar soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeioth View Post
              What does it fix VK_EXT_external_memory_host? It improves performance in some scenarios?
              I think this vulkan extension is required in the latest N64 emulator (paraLLEl) available in retroarch. This is a Low Level Emulator that apparently has both good performance and accuracy.

The N64 had 3D capabilities, but being the first 3D generation, it uses 3D techniques that differ a lot from OpenGL as well as additional tricks very expensive to emulate. That's the main reason why that generation of consoles is difficult to emulate accurately, even today.

​​​​​​Using Vulkan and being able to map GPU/CPU memory efficiently seems useful for this application, up to the point that this state of the art emulator required it, even if it was not implemented on Nvidia drivers.

I'm no expert but I hope that helps

Comment

Originally posted by zexelon View Post
                I am very happy to see they are doing a better job at supporting Linux vs Apple OSX
                They aren't allowed by apple

Comment

Originally posted by zeehio View Post

I think this vulkan extension is required in the latest N64 emulator (paraLLEl) available in retroarch. This is a Low Level Emulator that apparently has both good performance and accuracy.

The N64 had 3D capabilities, but being the first 3D generation, it uses 3D techniques that differ a lot from OpenGL as well as additional tricks very expensive to emulate. That's the main reason why that generation of consoles is difficult to emulate accurately, even today.

​​​​​​Using Vulkan and being able to map GPU/CPU memory efficiently seems useful for this application, up to the point that this state of the art emulator required it, even if it was not implemented on Nvidia drivers.

I'm no expert but I hope that helps
                  Honestly, I thought it was for EGLStreams-less Wayland support....

Comment

Working...
                  X