Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raspberry Pi Vulkan Driver Making Progress But Long Road Remains

Phoronix: Raspberry Pi Vulkan Driver Making Progress But Long Road Remains

Consulting firm Igalia that has been working under contract with the Raspberry Pi Foundation on developing a Raspberry Pi Vulkan driver for the Raspberry Pi 4 and future SBCs has provided a status update on their development efforts...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

They should fix tearing issue as first
    as it is really annoying
    And when I created issue on github
    they close it
    Describe the bug When I move windows in new 64bit raspbery debian based distro there are artifacts around windows To reproduce start 64bit debian raspberry pi distro on Pi4 with desktop environment...

so it nice that they will have opengl es 3.0 support and vulkan
    but it is useless as when I move application window I get tearing artifacts

Comment

Originally posted by miskol View Post
      as it is really annoying
      they close it
      Describe the bug When I move windows in new 64bit raspbery debian based distro there are artifacts around windows To reproduce start 64bit debian raspberry pi distro on Pi4 with desktop environment...

Just enable the DRM display stack (enable the vc4-kms-v3d / vc4-kms-v3d-pi4 overlay). That will get rid of tearing. Note that this new driver is still in development, but it should soon replace the old VideoCore display stack.

Comment

Originally posted by brent View Post

Just enable the DRM display stack (enable the vc4-kms-v3d / vc4-kms-v3d-pi4 overlay). That will get rid of tearing. Note that this new driver is still in development, but it should soon replace the old VideoCore display stack.
        That is problem
        it isn't fixed with vc4-kms-v3d on pi4
        it is still there since pi4 release

Comment

Originally posted by brent View Post

Doesn't work on 64bit kernel.

No point in having a RasPi4 and using the old ARMv7 code, since it's barely faster than a RasPi2 at that point.

Comment

I imagine Vulkan would offer some significant performance improvements for ARM, especially when it comes to emulation. I look forward to seeing where these drivers go.

Comment

Originally posted by 8r34k0u7_57y13 View Post

Doesn't work on 64bit kernel.

No point in having a RasPi4 and using the old ARMv7 code, since it's barely faster than a RasPi2 at that point.
              You're clearly didn't know what you're talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by miskol View Post
                as it is really annoying
                they close it

They probably closed it because you were being a prick

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post

They probably closed it because you were being a prick
                  Sorry I only wrote that tearing is lame bug
                  And it really is.
                  In our company every visual bug is number 1
                  They made really good HW and they didn't wrote good sw for that.
                  Problem with tearing is, that is visually annoying. You are watching video, editing text and you clearly see gfx glitches.

Some people ignoring this problem as it was long term problem on linux

Comment

it's still far from being usable and optimized for RPi4 gamers. But even then there is the matter of Arm game compatibility
                    I think most games written to use Vulkan are presuming baseline performance of at least an order of magnitude faster than the Pi's GPU. It's hard to convey just what a piece of junk it really is.

Following that is when they can focus more aggressively on delivering good performance.
                    It will never deliver good performance, though I presume they mean better than at present.

IMO, the main value this has is for running extremely light-weight Vulkan programs, and to let people start learning Vulkan development on the Pi.

Comment

Working...
                    X