Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vulkan 1.2.135 Released With New + Promoted NVIDIA Extensions In Addition To Ray-Tracing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post

I'm not sure where I'm confused? GeForce Now is comprised of data centers with thousands of servers and enterprise graphics cards. The GPU processing of each card is being shared across multiple VM instances. RTX enabled games on the service connect to different servers with more power GPUs than games like Portal or Half Life 2.

What do you mean by "will not afford"? I can surely afford an RTX graphics card that has RT Cores, it's just that I don't need to buy one. I'm more interesting in seeing what AMD has in store for us with upcoming RDNA 2-based cards.
    What he means is that real full-blown RT video games are not going to be viable on current process nodes. Even a 2080 Ti couldn't do it, and i am pretty sure 3080 Ti won't be able to do it either. All we are going to get in the near to medium-term future are normal raster-based games with a few RT effects.

Comment

but without introducing any deferrable commands yet
      This is incorrect. The extension will never have any deferrable commands. That's what other extension will have.

And there are already deferrable commands, the raytracing ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post

I'm not sure where I'm confused? GeForce Now is comprised of data centers with thousands of servers and enterprise graphics cards. The GPU processing of each card is being shared across multiple VM instances. RTX enabled games on the service connect to different servers with more power GPUs than games like Portal or Half Life 2.

What do you mean by "will not afford"? I can surely afford an RTX graphics card that has RT Cores, it's just that I don't need to buy one. I'm more interesting in seeing what AMD has in store for us with upcoming RDNA 2-based cards.
        Denoise on two samples per pixel ray tracing is not the same as on a thousand samples per pixel. On the first is just filled with normal raster illumination or simply put ray tracing guided illumination or normal illumination with 20% better positioning. And no there are not RT cores anywhere on this planet because RT is complex and all Gpus will lose the same percentage of performance when they do RT regardless of the generation or vendor, and no Gpus will be able to do it unless they crash the PETAflop barrier per unit. So except if you can afford a NV building you probably cannot afford it. Also from game streaming you can play well at 20ms (rare scenario) but not at 70ms because its a Video / Keyring mess. NV doesn't have that either.

Comment

Originally posted by artivision View Post

Denoise on two samples per pixel ray tracing is not the same as on a thousand samples per pixel. On the first is just filled with normal raster illumination or simply put ray tracing guided illumination or normal illumination with 20% better positioning. And no there are not RT cores anywhere on this planet because RT is complex and all Gpus will lose the same percentage of performance when they do RT regardless of the generation or vendor, and no Gpus will be able to do it unless they crash the PETAflop barrier per unit. So except if you can afford a NV building you probably cannot afford it. Also from game streaming you can play well at 20ms (rare scenario) but not at 70ms because its a Video / Keyring mess. NV doesn't have that either.
          Which is exactly why the new consoles spent as much time focusing on their fast storage and CPUs as the graphics portion and raytracing, it's an improvement but not true RT still.

Hopefully it translates into games that rely on streaming data from storage and using whatever memory is available, a lot can be done that way even outside of textures: It's part of the reason Sims 3 was so laggy, it was a 32bit single-threaded process trying to stream an entire neighbourhood of NPCs; it lacked memory, storage speed and sometimes when a lot was happening, CPU speed.

Comment

Working...
          X