Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vulkan 1.2.135 Released With New + Promoted NVIDIA Extensions In Addition To Ray-Tracing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vulkan 1.2.135 Released With New + Promoted NVIDIA Extensions In Addition To Ray-Tracing

Phoronix: Vulkan 1.2.135 Released With New + Promoted NVIDIA Extensions In Addition To Ray-Tracing

While the most prominent addition to today's Vulkan 1.2.135 update is the provisional ray-tracing support, there are also other new extensions with this update...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    There are also various fixes to the spec as outlined via the changes for VUlkan 1.2.135.

Comment

Is there any open source games that use Vulkan?

What about open source OpenGL 4 games?

Before the open source community had War§ow, Xonotic, Cube 2, and Tesseract (which was more of a tech demo). But lately I haven't heard of any interesting graphics-intensive open source game projects.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

Before the open source community had War§ow, Xonotic, Cube 2, and Tesseract (which was more of a tech demo). But lately I haven't heard of any interesting graphics-intensive open source game projects.
        I don't think there are any :<

And I don't think Dolphin or RetroArch would count (the former being graphics-intensive) because they are emulators...

Comment

Quake? the content may be copyrighted but the game engine is completely open source

Comment

I hope Wine Vulkan and VKD3D implement the Vulkan Ray Tracing APIs so that we can benefit from Direct3D 12 and Vulkan Windows games that adopt this, since (outside of the Quake II RTX tech demo), I doubt any native Linux games will get this anytime soon. I wonder what Feral Interactive has brewing and if they are interested in Ray Tracing?

At least if someone on Linux wants to experience what RTX looks like in games, you can try it with GeForce Now. Sadly, only Metro Exodus, Deliver Us The Moon, and Wolfenstein: Youngblood are on the list so far. I enjoyed the Quake II RTX demo much more in the cloud than natively on Linux because Ray Tracing is a slideshow disaster on my GTX 1070 but an enterprise RTX card is used in GeForce Now.

Comment

Will the ray-tracing extension allow developers to know if the ray-tracing is done in HW or not and to what degree?
              Dedicated separate chip, dedicated HW cores, dedicated HW-integrated operations in general compute/graphics/shader HW units, SW compute shader on GPU, SW on CPU, other.
              With the ability to have custom names and a short text description.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
                I hope Wine Vulkan and VKD3D implement the Vulkan Ray Tracing APIs so that we can benefit from Direct3D 12 and Vulkan Windows games that adopt this, since (outside of the Quake II RTX tech demo), I doubt any native Linux games will get this anytime soon. I wonder what Feral Interactive has brewing and if they are interested in Ray Tracing?

At least if someone on Linux wants to experience what RTX looks like in games, you can try it with GeForce Now. Sadly, only Metro Exodus, Deliver Us The Moon, and Wolfenstein: Youngblood are on the list so far. I enjoyed the Quake II RTX demo much more in the cloud than natively on Linux because Ray Tracing is a slideshow disaster on my GTX 1070 but an enterprise RTX card is used in GeForce Now.

You are clearly confused. You mean cards and no card. Simply you will not afford RT this decade because NV will not have RT this decade.

Comment

GZDoom supports Vulkan, but it's not something I would call very graphics-intensive.

Comment

Originally posted by artivision View Post

You are clearly confused. You mean cards and no card. Simply you will not afford RT this decade because NV will not have RT this decade.
                    I'm not sure where I'm confused? GeForce Now is comprised of data centers with thousands of servers and enterprise graphics cards. The GPU processing of each card is being shared across multiple VM instances. RTX enabled games on the service connect to different servers with more power GPUs than games like Portal or Half Life 2.

What do you mean by "will not afford"? I can surely afford an RTX graphics card that has RT Cores, it's just that I don't need to buy one. I'm more interesting in seeing what AMD has in store for us with upcoming RDNA 2-based cards.

Comment

Working...
                    X