Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raspberry Pi Foundation Gets Back To Working On A Vulkan Driver - New Effort By Igalia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it considered crazy now-a-days to expect driver's to be completed BEFORE hardware is released?

I kinda like buying products that ACTUAL work when they arrive at my door step.

Comment

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
      RaspberryPi is loosing track..

The amount of blobs is just like crazy,
      In a moment were everybody is going mainline, and open, raspberryPí continues maintaining they blobs..
      With their bootcode.bin,start.elf,fixup......armstubs,... madness.

the only thing that is ok is their mesa Gallium3D driver..
      You know that they do have an effort to upstream drivers, and that Linux 5.6 will offer some new ones and others are known to be in progress?

Comment

Originally posted by Hibbelharry View Post
        You know that they do have an effort to upstream drivers, and that Linux 5.6 will offer some new ones and others are known to be in progress?
        I really hope they do realise that going Open, they will have bigger opportunities, and maintain their status, which is very important for sales..

Because now, a lot of competitors are up and running for Mainline support.. and with that comes status recognition has Open Friendly..
        And on this Market, Open and friendly usually walks together..

Its difficult to understand why so many blobs, and others that are not blobs but exists has a separate peaces of the puzzle...
        Why not going mainline, with all your drivers in that way, a user can build a kernel that they like, with the modules they like,
        Its the way it should be, and others around seems to be putting a lot of work on it..

I really hope they do realise that fast..

Comment

I have no use for Vulkan, but I do wish they'd fix the screen tearing issue on Raspberry Pi 4.

Comment

RaspberryPi is loosing track..

The amount of blobs is just like crazy,
            In a moment were everybody is going mainline, and open, raspberryPí continues maintaining they blobs..
            in a moment where broadcom/rpi is the only arm vendor funding its open videodriver you are posting bullshit

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
              Is it considered crazy now-a-days to expect driver's to be completed BEFORE hardware is released?

I kinda like buying products that ACTUAL work when they arrive at my door step.
              sure, driver for its main platform. like windows or android

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                in a moment where broadcom/rpi is the only arm vendor funding its open videodriver you are posting bullshit
                You can't take a videodriver for a hole system...
                Its only a part of it, and not even the most important part of it..

The Soc Support Drivers came first.. and here is what I am referring to..
                rpi4 only in 5.5.0 Kernel saw initial support.. they have a very bad track on that..

Comment

You can't take a videodriver for a hole system...
                  Its only a part of it, and not even the most important part of it..
                  it's hardest part of it, that's why nobody else does it
                  The Soc Support Drivers came first.. and here is what I am referring to..
                  rpi4 only in 5.5.0 Kernel saw initial support.. they have a very bad track on that..
                  probably because people prefer to write kernel drivers for some chinese knockoffs instead of for vendor-supported chips. and i interpret "in 5.5.0 Kernel saw initial support" as "is going mainline, and open"
                  Last edited by pal666; 04 February 2020, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Yup, Raspberry Pi 4 had pretty much full support for everything, from day 1. Just not in the mainline kernel. Mainlining is slow simply because there's not a lot of pressure. The Raspberry Pi people actually *support* their devices, after all, and provide up to date kernel trees with the latest code for their boards.

And if you encounter a bug and report it, there's a really good chance that paid Raspberry Pi developers will take a look at it and fix it. Mindblowing, right?

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                      it's hardest part of it, that's why nobody else does it
                      probably because people prefer to write kernel drivers for some chinese knockoffs instead of for vendor-supported chips. and i interpret "in 5.5.0 Kernel saw initial support" as "is going mainline, and open"
                      Yes, initial support, but its not very different with what other projects do..
                      The other projects that you talk, also have full support for their boards in a Linux branch of their own..
                      But slowly, they are coming to mainline, faster than raspberry pi do..

It was that I was referring to( the fact that what you call "chinese knockoffs", being first in Mainline than raspberry pi.. ).

Comment

Working...
                      X