Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Think Silicon's GLOVE OpenGL-Over-Vulkan Library Now Works On Wayland, Windows + macOS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Think Silicon's GLOVE OpenGL-Over-Vulkan Library Now Works On Wayland, Windows + macOS

Phoronix: Think Silicon's GLOVE OpenGL-Over-Vulkan Library Now Works On Wayland, Windows + macOS

One of several projects implementing the OpenGL graphics API over Vulkan has been Think Silicon's GLOVE library. GLOVE currently is focuses on OpenGL ES 2.0 + EGL 1.4 support and is a standalone project unlike Mesa's Zink Gallium3D driver working on OpenGL / GLES over Vulkan too. GLOVE 0.4 is out today as a big feature update...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'd be interested in seeing this gaining support for full OpenGL versions.

Comment

So on Mac it's Metal -> Vulkan -> OpenGL, fortunately I don't own a mac.

Comment

I thought that this project might be dead, but good to see them progressing. For Linux users Zink might be the better option as it is already part of Mesa 20.0.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
          No, you have either native OpenGL (stopped being developed at an old version) or MoltenGL (Metal -> OpenGL, a newer version and even faster than native despite being a wrapper).

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
            I thought that this project might be dead, but good to see them progressing. For Linux users Zink might be the better option as it is already part of Mesa 20.0.
            This might be more useful for games/applications to link agaisnt directly to get the same OpenGL driver everywhere.

Comment

Think Silicon, those guys are considered the Tesla of Graphics Hardware,
              With its Nema Graphics..

Comment

By the way, is VKGL dead ?

It looked so promising to run OpenGl core onto Vulkan and the code looks very clean.

I would be glad if we could have only a few very optimized Vulkan drivers to focus on, then a very few translation layers like VKGL and Glove to focus on as well, and have in the end, simpler and way more up to date systems.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
                  remember the days when OpenGL -> OpenGL

Comment

Originally posted by Ladis View Post
                    No, you have either native OpenGL (stopped being developed at an old version) or MoltenGL (Metal -> OpenGL, a newer version and even faster than native despite being a wrapper).
                    OpenGL on macOS seems to be deprecated soon. And MoltenGL is not opensource unfortunately.

Comment

Working...
                    X