Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CoreAVI VkCoreGL SC1 Hits Compliance For Ushering Vulkan Into Safety Critical Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CoreAVI VkCoreGL SC1 Hits Compliance For Ushering Vulkan Into Safety Critical Systems

Phoronix: CoreAVI VkCoreGL SC1 Hits Compliance For Ushering Vulkan Into Safety Critical Systems

Vulkan could soon be used indirectly on safety critical military and aerospace displays thanks to CoreAVI's VkCoreGL SC1...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What's this is all about? 3D in military?

What are the differences against their consumer and workstation counterparts? This seems like Chinese to me, please do a better introduction the next time you mention a niche technology.

Is that VkCoreGL SC1 proprietary or open source? You forgot to mention that too.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

What are the differences against their consumer and workstation counterparts? This seems like Chinese to me, please do a better introduction the next time you mention a niche technology.

Is that VkCoreGL SC1 proprietary or open source? You forgot to mention that too.
      "Commercial offerings" already sounds like proprietary to me.

Comment

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        VkCoreGL SC1 is for transitioning OpenGL safety critical applications onto Vulkan-based systens.

Comment

In my opinion, the difference between military and consumer/workstation is that military has absolutely zero tolerance to error, because a single mistake may lead to fatalities or even collapse of the entire state.
          Last edited by tildearrow; 14 January 2020, 05:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

In my opinion, the difference between military and consumer/workstation is that military has absolutely zero tolerance to error, because a single mistake may lead to fatalities or even collapse of the entire state.
            I thought a bit of that too, but I wonder about the details.

How are the features different? Does it have different ones? Does it have less features? Did anyone do a specification comparison?

Comment

I thought a bit of that too, but I wonder about the details.

How are the features different? Does it have different ones? Does it have less features? Did anyone do a specification comparison?
              I haven't looked at it, but I'd guess that the first step in making asafety-critical OpenGL or Vulkan spec would be similar to what EPUB does with HTML... pruning away all the bits the greater market pushed for which are hard to deliver under your very different cost-benefit trade-off and verifiability requirements.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

I haven't looked at it, but I'd guess that the first step in making asafety-critical OpenGL or Vulkan spec would be similar to what EPUB does with HTML... pruning away all the bits the greater market pushed for which are hard to deliver under your very different cost-benefit trade-off and verifiability requirements.
                I would assume that the validation side of things has more of a test suite

Comment

What are the differences against their consumer and workstation counterparts?
                  My money's on an OpenGL subset that has been vetted to be (close to) unexploitable. Or at least to produce repeatable results consistently.

Comment

Working...
                  X