Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zink Benchmarks - Mesa OpenGL Running Over Vulkan

Phoronix: Zink Benchmarks - Mesa OpenGL Running Over Vulkan

With the upcoming Mesa 19.3 release one of the big new features is the "Zink" driver that provides a Mesa OpenGL implementation over Vulkan. This in theory allows for a generic OpenGL driver running over Vulkan hardware drivers, but there is a lot of work ahead before it's really a viable option.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

AMD has real good OpenGL drivers while the Vulcan drivers works they still haven't reach that well optimized state which can be seen in linux game benchmarks.
    This makes me see Zink as a POC (Proof of concept) rather than a viable option even if it supported OpenGL 4.6

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
      This makes me see Zink as a POC (Proof of concept) rather than a viable option even if it supported OpenGL 4.6
      I think it makes more sense to look at it as a fallback for future devices that may have limited/no OpenGL support (particularly on ARM).

Comment

well, obviously amd hardware was used only to shut crazy people who were thinking that it can be faster than real opengl driver. it can only be faster than missing/broken opengl driver, just as i said since beginning

Comment

AMD has real good OpenGL drivers while the Vulcan drivers works they still haven't reach that well optimized state which can be seen in linux game benchmarks.
          Zink is still at its very early stages. RADV works very well and has great performance IME.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
            well, obviously amd hardware was used only to shut crazy people who were thinking that it can be faster than real opengl driver. it can only be faster than missing/broken opengl driver, just as i said since beginning
            Well, people said the same thing about DXVK. While it rarely matches or exceeds native Windows D3D11 driver performance, it is still pretty damn impressive. But it does happen! You can't expect drivers to perform exactly the same for every single unique workload there is.
            I would give Zink some time and compare it against AMD's Windows OpenGL implementation, as it is known to be... not... great.
            Besides I suppose Zink over MoltenVK could be a solution for when Apple gets the bright idea to remove OpenGL support completely - MoltenGL being still proprietary, unless maybe Valve acquires that and open sources it too...

Comment

Originally posted by AsuMagic View Post
              Well, people said the same thing about DXVK.
              lol, you are completely missing the point. dxvk is here exactly because native linux directx drivers are unavailable. so of course it is better than nothing

Comment

Well, at this early stage features are more important than benchmarks. I do believe Zink is the future just like the DirectX to Vulkan translation layers. As soon as Zink runs my desktop, Firefox and Steam I would be quite happy already :-) In many older games I wouldn't mind if there is a performance drop compared to radeonsi as long as it works fine.

Comment

AMD currently has really good OpenGL drivers for their current hardware.

I can see a point in the future where vulkan drivers happen first and optimisations are provided for zink for immediate OpenGL performance (upon release) and maybe bringing dedicated OpenGL drivers later.

Comment

Regarding the steam issues, couldn't you sidestep them by launching normally, then set the game command as
                    Code:
                    MESA_LOADER_DRIVER_OVERRIDE=zink %command%

Comment

Working...
                    X