No announcement yet.

Vulkan To Better Handle Variable Rate Displays / Adaptive-Sync In The Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vulkan To Better Handle Variable Rate Displays / Adaptive-Sync In The Future

Phoronix: Vulkan To Better Handle Variable Rate Displays / Adaptive-Sync In The Future

While longtime X11 developer Keith Packard is now working for SiFive on RISC-V processors by day, he's still involved in the Linux graphics world through his contract work for Valve. At the XDC2019 conference earlier this month he presented on display timing, the current Linux plumbing for it, and also bringing up Vulkan will better support variable rate displays in the future...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Thanks Valve!

Comment

I wonder when we see adaptive sync support on wayland. I would not switch back to x11 just to play some games.

Comment

The future, that wonderful place where all the great features happen to work flawlessly... I can't wait!

Comment

Time for Wayland compositors to use Vulkan as well.

Comment

Somebody please clone this guy, thanks!

Comment

i have more steam games than i ever will be able to play. but i know that valve takes its cut on each purchase

Comment

I have looked a lot into adaptative sync with the goal of contributing something to wayland compositors.

My single biggest gripe with it is how the VESA specification is closed, and you'd have to shell out $10K just to read it

I'm mostly interested in the following answer: can you hint the display how much time will be spent rendering the next frame? This would lower a lot the flicker due to backlight strobing (though there are other sources...).

Comment

multi display support .............

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
                    multi display support .............
                    Yes, please add support to Multi display with Variable Refresh Rate Displays.

Comment

Working...
                    X