GTK4 Now Allows More Efficient Usage With Its Vulkan Renderer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post

I know, but I don't think anybody here expect it to stay this way by the time Gnome software stack start migrate to GTK4.
    Considering that the Freedreno and Raspberry Pi Vulkan drivers are barely moving along and they have more resources than Etnaviv, I wouldn't hold my breath.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
      Good news for mobile. Eventually Purism phones will move to GTK4. This is the only phone provider smart and brave enough to work on a truly free phone product with software and hardware tightly integrated.
      The term "free phone" is an oxymoron, as it's nothing but a glorified tracking device. If it was truly free, you'd only have old Wi-Fi built in, as baseband processors run software provided over the air by your carrier.

Purism is a scam company full of hacks rather than people who can be taken seriously. A laptop with a stripped ME binary is about as free as a newer (as in, newer than xx00) ThinkPad with coreboot and me_cleaner. Their definition of freedom leaves a lot to be desired. If their devices were truly free, their laptops would be stuck with core 2 duo, or slightly newer AMD chips.

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post

The term "free phone" is an oxymoron, as it's nothing but a glorified tracking device. If it was truly free, you'd only have old Wi-Fi built in, as baseband processors run software provided over the air by your carrier.

Purism is a scam company full of hacks rather than people who can be taken seriously. A laptop with a stripped ME binary is about as free as a newer (as in, newer than xx00) ThinkPad with coreboot and me_cleaner. Their definition of freedom leaves a lot to be desired. If their devices were truly free, their laptops would be stuck with core 2 duo, or slightly newer AMD chips.
        Wi-Fi can also be used to track you by e.g. security agencies, police, etc. Better not use any device at all and live in a Siberian cave.

Comment

I guess all AMD hardware that supports AMDGPU can use Vulkan rendering, right?

Because i use an AMD a9 9600 which is the oldest generation that uses AMDGPU (Carrizo) in GNU/Linux, every time i see a news about AMDGPU i always wonder if this includes or excludes this hardware (which uses GCN 3.0).

Comment

Originally posted by lorabe View Post
            I guess all AMD hardware that supports AMDGPU can use Vulkan rendering, right?

Because i use an AMD a9 9600 which is the oldest generation that uses AMDGPU (Carrizo) in GNU/Linux, every time i see a news about AMDGPU i always wonder if this includes or excludes this hardware (which uses GCN 3.0).
            Yes everything gcn supports vulkan.

Comment

Originally posted by humbug View Post
              Yes everything gcn supports vulkan.
              Yes, my A10-7850K Black Edition suddenly got new life a while back when it got AMDGPU support. Felt like an entirely new computer.

Comment

They have hardware switches for webcam and mic (rare to see on laptops), they ship GNU/Linux as default (also rare) and they use coreboot (also rare).

Security, freedom & privacy can never be perfect on Earth. Purism laptops provide the user more freedom, security and privacy guarantees than the vast majority of laptop hardware on the market.

I expect anyone who does a little bit of research will learn that they are not scammers. Thus, your comment is telling people a lot more about you than it is, about Purism.

Comment

Agreed, but it's the most free tracking device out there so if you want to have as few compromises as possible this is the best choice.

I agree that a Librem laptop is as free as a thinkpad with coreboot and me_cleaner. So if you don't want to install me_cleaner or coreboot yourself then a Librem laptop is a good choice.
                  Of course a laptop with a core 2 processor is completely free and this is not, but if you don't have a requirement that your laptop needs to be completely free but do have a requirement that the laptop you are buying has to be newer than from 2011 then a Librem laptop is a good choice.

Comment

Originally posted by johanb View Post

Agreed, but it's the most free tracking device out there so if you want to have as few compromises as possible this is the best choice.

I agree that a Librem laptop is as free as a thinkpad with coreboot and me_cleaner. So if you don't want to install me_cleaner or coreboot yourself then a Librem laptop is a good choice.
                    Of course a laptop with a core 2 processor is completely free and this is not, but if you don't have a requirement that your laptop needs to be completely free but do have a requirement that the laptop you are buying has to be newer than from 2011 then a Librem laptop is a good choice.
                    My issue is that they advertise freedom when it's not really freedom, but the closest thing they've managed to get to. It's still heavily compromised, and the idea of a "free phone" is simply impossible. If someone wants a device similar to iPod Touch, then it's possible to pull off, but a baseband processor is directly at odds. Librem reeks of false advertising to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
                      Guest Remove the modem then.
                      If they provided such an option, the product would make a little bit of sense.

Comment

Working...
                      X