Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GTK4 Now Allows More Efficient Usage With Its Vulkan Renderer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • GTK4 Now Allows More Efficient Usage With Its Vulkan Renderer

    Phoronix: GTK4 Now Allows More Efficient Usage With Its Vulkan Renderer

    This week the GTK 4.0 development code picked up support for making use of the VK_KHR_incremental_present extension with its Vulkan renderer in order to allow much more efficient behavior...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...mental_present

  • #2
    I'm looking forward to GTK4

    Comment


    • #3
      Good news for mobile. Eventually Purism phones will move to GTK4. This is the only phone provider smart and brave enough to work on a truly free phone product with software and hardware tightly integrated.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
        Good news for mobile. Eventually Purism phones will move to GTK4. This is the only phone provider smart and brave enough to work on a truly free phone product with software and hardware tightly integrated.
        Does the Purism phone support Vulkan? Probably not.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Venemo View Post
          Does the Purism phone support Vulkan? Probably not.
          Check specification: https://puri.sm/posts/librem-5-smart...ecs-announced/

          Comment


          • #6
            This is unrelated to Wayland? Or does this mean a Wayland compositor that uses Vulkan? Or it's just something GTK4 does irrespective of the compositor and X11/Wayland, like a game rendering with Vulkan?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
              The spec sheet says that Purism has a Vivante GPU. There is currently no Vulkan driver for Vivante in mesa.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
                The hardware can, but there is no driver. Just like Purism's specs also say "OpenGL/ES 3.1" when there is only OpenGL 2 currently. Likewise, no OpenCL driver either.
                Michael Larabel
                http://www.michaellarabel.com/

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by polarathene View Post
                  This is unrelated to Wayland? Or does this mean a Wayland compositor that uses Vulkan? Or it's just something GTK4 does irrespective of the compositor and X11/Wayland, like a game rendering with Vulkan?
                  GTK4 applications can use Vulkan to render, this is an optimization for that renderer.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Britoid View Post

                    GTK4 applications can use Vulkan to render, this is an optimization for that renderer.
                    Ok, so on Wayland you'd still have EGL handling the compositing and window management? GTK windows/viewports would just be rendering their content with Vulkan like a windowed game that supports Vulkan?

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X