Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Valve Releases Proton 4.11-6 To Pull In DXVK 1.4

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Valve Releases Proton 4.11-6 To Pull In DXVK 1.4

    Phoronix: Valve Releases Proton 4.11-6 To Pull In DXVK 1.4

    Just a week past the previous Proton update, Proton 4.11-6 is out today from Valve as the latest version of their Wine downstream powering Steam Play...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-Proton-4.11-6

  • #2
    Imagine if you had a "pet" project that caught the attention of a significant corporation and that corporation incorporated your pet project into their product. Then imagine you released an update and within a few days the corporation incorporated it into their product.

    I know the wine guys are dismissing DXVK but when Steam rolls it out a few days after a release, it's hard to dismiss.

    Don't get me wrong, I love the wine guys but Philip Rebohle is not to be dismissed. I sure appreciate the efforts and all the hard work that has gone into making Linux a marvellous platform for running windows software.

    I'm in awe of what these giants (wine, DXVK, Mesa, the Linux kernel maintainers and too many more to mention) have accomplished. It is a very good time to be a Linux and gaming enthusiast.

    Comment


    • #3
      An update for EAC and Battleye would be nice sometime. I know some basic initial support exists for them but still not working right.

      Comment


      • #4
        Love that they update often now... Proton works great at this point.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by theriddick View Post
          An update for EAC and Battleye would be nice sometime. I know some basic initial support exists for them but still not working right.
          I agree, please make it happen.

          Comment


          • #6
            I also wished old Punkbuster would work, so I could play good old Battlefield 4 in MP.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
              I also wished old Punkbuster would work, so I could play good old Battlefield 4 in MP.
              Does that not work anymore? That was one of the first online games I played on Linux. Now I has a sad

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

                Does that not work anymore? That was one of the first online games I played on Linux. Now I has a sad
                Might be my fault, others claim it to be working:
                https://www.reddit.com/r/wine_gaming...the_anticheat/

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
                  Might be my fault, others claim it to be working:
                  https://www.reddit.com/r/wine_gaming...the_anticheat/
                  I hate it when it's my fault. Spent most of the day yesterday recompiling all my TKG stuff, LLVM, AMDVLK, etc to track down an issue I was having with wine/proton prefixes. It ended up being f**cking "export WINEFSYNC_SPINCOUNT=100"

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by gukin View Post
                    I know the wine guys are dismissing DXVK but when Steam rolls it out a few days after a release, it's hard to dismiss.
                    I agree. I still haven't found a compelling reason why the WINE devs choose to take a path of such high resistance. If it's for the sake of Mac OS, that's not a good reason, seeing as MoltenVK exists.
                    Valve has really surged ahead with WINE development. As long as they keep up their work, it's going to get harder and harder to take CodeWeavers and the other original WINE devs seriously whenever they push away something like DXVK.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X