Vulkan Video Decoding Coming In H1'2020, Ray-Tracing Progressing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by agd5f View Post

VCN is a hardware block. The encode and decode capabilities exposed by this hardware block are exposed today via multimedia APIs like OpenMAX, VA-API, and VDPAU. The vulkan extensions expose the video hardware engines like VCN through the Vulkan API similar to how we expose the compute and gfx hardware engines via the Vulkan API today.
    Thanks for this explanation. I see that this would leverage the cross-plattform and cross-vendor advantages of Vulkan to video encode/decode and should supersede the usage of OpenMAX, VA-API and VDPAU on Linux?!

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post

Thanks for this explanation. I see that this would leverage the cross-plattform and cross-vendor advantages of Vulkan to video encode/decode and should supersede the usage of OpenMAX, VA-API and VDPAU on Linux?!
      Well, it would provide another API for video acceleration. So you could use OpenMAX or VAAPI or VDPAU or Vulkan.

Comment

Okay this news is about exposing the dedicated decoding unit (ASIC).

I got my hopes too high for something that might be unrealistic:
        Does anyone have a idea how feasible it would be to have AV1 or VP9 implemented using compute shaders or OpenCL or some parts of Vulkan, i.e. whichever non-video API available on modern GPUs that don't support yet these codecs?

Because video engines are too specific, that's why hardware change is needed to have any acceleration for AV1 for example. And it takes a lot of time.
        So the aim is to achieve some level of acceleration that would make usable for example AV1 on some of the modern GPUs.
        The best thing that could happen it that would be enough to allow use on mobile device if such implementations are efficient enough.
        That would result in providing support of new codecs few GPU/SoC generation in advance compared to complete full ASIC-accelerated support. (Even if the support is not with the highest resolutions and framerates)

Comment

Working...
        X