Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vulkan 1.1.118 Released With New AMD Extensions

Phoronix: Vulkan 1.1.118 Released With New AMD Extensions

Another week, another new Vulkan update...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is anyone working on implementing multi-GPU support in radv?

Comment

Aren't all these vendor extentions that Vulkan is getting eventually turn it into OpenGL all over again where some vendors are easier to develop for than others?

Comment

Since when it is a goal for development to be equally hard for all vendors??
        You don't like vendor extensions? Then don't use them. Problem solved.

Comment

Originally posted by Henk717 View Post
          Aren't all these vendor extentions that Vulkan is getting eventually turn it into OpenGL all over again where some vendors are easier to develop for than others?
          Core extensions are supported equally by all vendors, while third party extensions are optional. If it becomes easier to develop for some vendor then it only means that the other vendors were too lazy coming up with a decent alternative or adopting the existing extension. It would be bad to force all vendors to be as the laziest and worst one of them all.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

It would be bad to force all vendors to be as the laziest and worst one of them all.
            So basically if I wanted to optimize my vulkan application I would then have to write 3 different programs all together (one for each vendor)?
            Not gonnu happen...

Ppl will just target the GCD of all vendors and maybe optimize some functions with the preferred vendors of their choice (which, in the gaym industry, usually is NoVideo...).

Comment

Originally posted by Cape View Post

So basically if I wanted to optimize my vulkan application I would then have to write 3 different programs all together (one for each vendor)?
              Not gonnu happen...

Ppl will just target the GCD of all vendors and maybe optimize some functions with the preferred vendors of their choice.
              Unfortunately, that.

Comment

Not gonnu happen...

Ppl will just target the GCD of all vendors and maybe optimize some functions with the preferred vendors of their choice (which, in the gaym industry, usually is NoVideo...).
                That is the price of being close to the metal. You have to specialize to get maximum performance.

Comment

Of course not, if your app is written correctly then the proper path is chosen at startup and runtime. You would have to write 3 different programs if you don't know how if/else blocks work and have no clue of Vulkan while somehow doing Vulkan.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
                    Of course not, if your app is written correctly then the proper path is chosen at startup and runtime. You would have to write 3 different programs if you don't know how if/else blocks work and have no clue of Vulkan while somehow doing Vulkan.
                    Oh sure! Having your fairly complex codebase littered even more by if/else blocks is a good solution to avoid bugs and simplify bugfixing . Also doesn't impact perfs at all !
                    /s

Comment

Working...
                    X