• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• uid313
    replied
    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
    ​​​​​​
    Then why can't you use other proprietary software as well? Some of these are more convenient to use than current open-source software.
    I can, but I like free open source software, so I do try stay away from proprietary software. Maybe I'll make another exception again sometime.

Then you need to see NetHack. The NetHack Wiki is full of spoilers based on the source. You're just desperate.
    But all games have spoilers. The source of the spoiler (being the source code) is irrelevant.

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post

Yeah, there are possibly other ways to listen to music, but I use Spotify despite it being proprietary, because it is so convenient.
    ​​​​​​
    Then why can't you use other proprietary software as well? Some of these are more convenient to use than current open-source software.

I would argue that nobody is going to spoil the game by analyzing the source code. That argument is just ridiculous.
    Then you need to see NetHack. The NetHack Wiki is full of spoilers based on the source. You're just desperate.

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied

Isn't there any other method you can use to listen to your songs?

Now let me re-validize my argument by telling you that you don't need an Internet connection to analyze the source code, unlike watching a gameplay video in YouTube.
    Yeah, there are possibly other ways to listen to music, but I use Spotify despite it being proprietary, because it is so convenient.

I would argue that nobody is going to spoil the game by analyzing the source code. That argument is just ridiculous.

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied

I use Spotify because there is no free open source Spotify client. It is a good service, so I rely on the proprietary client for it.
    If there are open source alternatives, I tend to use those.
    Isn't there any other method you can use to listen to your songs?

Yeah, so if it's open source or not, doesn't affect the game in terms of spoilers. You can still find gameplay records on YouTube, so your argument is invalid.
    Now let me re-validize my argument by telling you that you don't need an Internet connection to analyze the source code, unlike watching a gameplay video in YouTube.

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied

If that's the case, then why do you use Spotify?

Exactly. Walkthrough-free, gameplay-video-free. You just read the source code, et voilà, the whole game's been spoiled.
    I use Spotify because there is no free open source Spotify client. It is a good service, so I rely on the proprietary client for it.
    If there are open source alternatives, I tend to use those.

Yeah, so if it's open source or not, doesn't affect the game in terms of spoilers. You can still find gameplay records on YouTube, so your argument is invalid.

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Well, I prefer free, open source software. I try to avoid proprietary software. I do have Spotify though.
    I just try to like the open source philosophy, the free software movement, and try to stay away from proprietary.
    If that's the case, then why do you use Spotify?

Yeah, I forgot about Xonotic. Well anyh game lets you easily see the plot by reading a walk-through or watching gameplay on YouTube. So I don't buy that argument. I don't know what you mean by easily seeing the whole plot, you mean by looking at the assets and reading the source code?
    Exactly. Walkthrough-free, gameplay-video-free. You just read the source code, et voilà, the whole game's been spoiled.

Leave a comment:

• DGMurdockIII
    replied
    This will eventually be the best open source game engine

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied

Is there any reason why besides ensuring the game's not gonna track you? (and even if it does, you can mitigate it)
    Well, I prefer free, open source software. I try to avoid proprietary software. I do have Spotify though.
    I just try to like the open source philosophy, the free software movement, and try to stay away from proprietary.

You forgot about Xonotic. A decent open-source game with an unmatched fast pace.

Please note new isn't always better (or visibly better (yeah, people have achieved OpenGL 4-levels of visual quality with just 2.0 (think of the demoscene))).

Also, just to tell you, the open-source model only works well for games that don't have a timeline. For those that do, it actually ruins the fun as it lets you easily see the whole plot without even playing.
    Yeah, I forgot about Xonotic. Well anyh game lets you easily see the plot by reading a walk-through or watching gameplay on YouTube. So I don't buy that argument. I don't know what you mean by easily seeing the whole plot, you mean by looking at the assets and reading the source code?

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Yes, I could maybe try a free proprietary one, but I would prefer an open source one.
    Is there any reason why besides ensuring the game's not gonna track you? (and even if it does, you can mitigate it)

Yes, and I found some nice open source games like War§ow, Nexuiz, Tesseract, Cube 2: Sauerbraten, etc. But they are old now. I would really like to see some modern, open source OpenGL 4+ or Vulkan game.
    You forgot about Xonotic. A decent open-source game with an unmatched fast pace.

Please note new isn't always better (or visibly better (yeah, people have achieved OpenGL 4-levels of visual quality with just 2.0 (think of the demoscene))).

Also, just to tell you, the open-source model only works well for games that don't have a timeline. For those that do, it actually ruins the fun as it lets you easily see the whole plot without even playing.

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied

Please not that proprietary does not necessarily imply "commercial". There are free proprietary games besides commercial ones.
    Yes, I could maybe try a free proprietary one, but I would prefer an open source one.

You know making a good game requires a lot of effort, right? And most of this effort doesn't come for free. Most artists prefer to be paid than to volunteer, which is hard to do under the open-source model.
    Yes, and I found some nice open source games like War§ow, Nexuiz, Tesseract, Cube 2: Sauerbraten, etc. But they are old now. I would really like to see some modern, open source OpenGL 4+ or Vulkan game.
    Last edited by uid313; 06 July 2019, 04:19 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X