Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Godot Engine 4.0 Continues Working Towards Vulkan Support

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    Originally posted by xenopick View Post
    Pathfinding is essential on actual 3D games, not a minor functionality waah waaah xD
    I didn't say minor functionality, I made no judgement on how critical it is at all. But it's open source software, with development being done in the open on Github. This means :
    • If you want it so bad, you can develop it yourself and submit a PR
    • If you want it so bad (part 2), donate to the project and try and influence it that way. They engage with their Patreons for priorities
    • Anybody can work on whatever they want anytime they want
    • Everyone's got an opinion on what needs to be done next and resources are limited
    • Nobody working on Godot owes you anything

    Comment


    • #12
      Originally posted by bitman View Post
      Michael also does not mention that this engine is full of terrible decisions. This is a good start https://github.com/godotengine/godot/issues/23998
      At the least someone is working on it even if it's just to show how it can be improved

      Comment


      • #13
        Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        Any cool open source games written with this engine?
        Why do you always ask for too much?
        If the game has a clearly set major goal (ending) then it's best for it to be clo

        Comment


        • #14
          Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

          Why do you always ask for too much?
          If the game has a clearly set major goal (ending) then it's best for it to be clo
          Because I am not an avid gamer, so I don't really buy games and such, so therefor it would be nice with a game that is free and open source since I won't be spending much time with it anyway.

          But I don't want to play some old, crappy game. I kind of want to see nice, modern things. Like I got Mesa with OpenGL 4.5 and Vulkan support, so I would like to see a game use that.

          Comment


          • #15
            Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            Because I am not an avid gamer, so I don't really buy games and such, so therefor it would be nice with a game that is free and open source since I won't be spending much time with it anyway.
            Please not that proprietary does not necessarily imply "commercial". There are free proprietary games besides commercial ones.

            Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            But I don't want to play some old, crappy game. I kind of want to see nice, modern things. Like I got Mesa with OpenGL 4.5 and Vulkan support, so I would like to see a game use that.
            You know making a good game requires a lot of effort, right? And most of this effort doesn't come for free. Most artists prefer to be paid than to volunteer, which is hard to do under the open-source model.

            Comment


            • #16
              Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

              Please not that proprietary does not necessarily imply "commercial". There are free proprietary games besides commercial ones.
              Yes, I could maybe try a free proprietary one, but I would prefer an open source one.

              Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
              You know making a good game requires a lot of effort, right? And most of this effort doesn't come for free. Most artists prefer to be paid than to volunteer, which is hard to do under the open-source model.
              Yes, and I found some nice open source games like War§ow, Nexuiz, Tesseract, Cube 2: Sauerbraten, etc. But they are old now. I would really like to see some modern, open source OpenGL 4+ or Vulkan game.
              Last edited by uid313; 07-06-2019, 04:19 AM.

              Comment


              • #17
                Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                Yes, I could maybe try a free proprietary one, but I would prefer an open source one.
                Is there any reason why besides ensuring the game's not gonna track you? (and even if it does, you can mitigate it)

                Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                Yes, and I found some nice open source games like War§ow, Nexuiz, Tesseract, Cube 2: Sauerbraten, etc. But they are old now. I would really like to see some modern, open source OpenGL 4+ or Vulkan game.
                You forgot about Xonotic. A decent open-source game with an unmatched fast pace.

                Please note new isn't always better (or visibly better (yeah, people have achieved OpenGL 4-levels of visual quality with just 2.0 (think of the demoscene))).

                Also, just to tell you, the open-source model only works well for games that don't have a timeline. For those that do, it actually ruins the fun as it lets you easily see the whole plot without even playing.

                Comment


                • #18
                  Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

                  Is there any reason why besides ensuring the game's not gonna track you? (and even if it does, you can mitigate it)
                  Well, I prefer free, open source software. I try to avoid proprietary software. I do have Spotify though.
                  I just try to like the open source philosophy, the free software movement, and try to stay away from proprietary.

                  Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                  You forgot about Xonotic. A decent open-source game with an unmatched fast pace.

                  Please note new isn't always better (or visibly better (yeah, people have achieved OpenGL 4-levels of visual quality with just 2.0 (think of the demoscene))).

                  Also, just to tell you, the open-source model only works well for games that don't have a timeline. For those that do, it actually ruins the fun as it lets you easily see the whole plot without even playing.
                  Yeah, I forgot about Xonotic. Well anyh game lets you easily see the plot by reading a walk-through or watching gameplay on YouTube. So I don't buy that argument. I don't know what you mean by easily seeing the whole plot, you mean by looking at the assets and reading the source code?

                  Comment


                  • #19
                    This will eventually be the best open source game engine

                    Comment


                    • #20
                      Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                      Well, I prefer free, open source software. I try to avoid proprietary software. I do have Spotify though.
                      I just try to like the open source philosophy, the free software movement, and try to stay away from proprietary.
                      If that's the case, then why do you use Spotify?

                      Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                      Yeah, I forgot about Xonotic. Well anyh game lets you easily see the plot by reading a walk-through or watching gameplay on YouTube. So I don't buy that argument. I don't know what you mean by easily seeing the whole plot, you mean by looking at the assets and reading the source code?
                      Exactly. Walkthrough-free, gameplay-video-free. You just read the source code, et voilà, the whole game's been spoiled.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X