No announcement yet.

Primus-VK: PRIME-Style GPU Offloading For Vulkan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tried once setting up nvidia-prime for a friend on a Acer laptop, I followed the guide line by line, everything was installed and that damn didn't work, the damn nvidia-settings couldn't see the nvidia card, but the damn nvidia-smi could, it was hell

Comment

So I take it, it's not possible/likely to use vulkan rendering on multiple GPUs here? I was under the impression that Vulkan and DX12 were going to be the true successors to SLI/Crossfire with the ability to recognize multiple GPUs and offload/split workloads/threads across them. I have a laptop with Ryzen 2500U + RX560X. RX560X foreground/in focus rendering and 2500U background/out of focus rendering would have been an amazing combo.

Comment

Originally posted by Darksurf View Post
        So I take it, it's not possible/likely to use vulkan rendering on multiple GPUs here? I was under the impression that Vulkan and DX12 were going to be the true successors to SLI/Crossfire with the ability to recognize multiple GPUs and offload/split workloads/threads across them. I have a laptop with Ryzen 2500U + RX560X. RX560X foreground/in focus rendering and 2500U background/out of focus rendering would have been an amazing combo.
        Multi-GPU rendering on these new APIs needs support from the game. I think there are no Vulkan games yet that utilise it. This Primus-VK doesn't help with that.

Comment

The best out-of-the-box Optimus experience is on Ubuntu, at least for the Optimus laptops I have owned. For me, it was vital to connect external monitors, so bumblebee is ruled out. Ubuntu has patched the nvidia control panel so there is GUI control to toggle the nvidia card; it requires a logout/login. There is a a command line switch too: sudo prime-select intel | nvidia

No mucking around with config files or scripts.

with either the Ubuntu solution (the nvidia-prime package) or with the fedora tutorial linked above, you can not have prime sync and gdm3 working at the same time, long standing bug in gdm3. (it can not discover external monitors, speculation is that gdm3 activates some wayland functionality when it sees the nvidia driver in modset=1). Easy fix: change your display manager to lightdm or sddm.

The gdm3 bug is still a problem in Ubuntu 19.04 pre-release with Gnome 3.32 so I don't think it would work in Fedora yet, but I don't know for sure

Comment

Originally posted by timrichardson View Post

The best out-of-the-box Optimus experience is on Ubuntu, at least for the Optimus laptops I have owned. For me, it was vital to connect external monitors, so bumblebee is ruled out. Ubuntu has patched the nvidia control panel so there is GUI control to toggle the nvidia card; it requires a logout/login. There is a a command line switch too: sudo prime-select intel | nvidia

No mucking around with config files or scripts.

with either the Ubuntu solution (the nvidia-prime package) or with the fedora tutorial linked above, you can not have prime sync and gdm3 working at the same time, long standing bug in gdm3. (it can not discover external monitors, speculation is that gdm3 activates some wayland functionality when it sees the nvidia driver in modset=1). Easy fix: change your display manager to lightdm or sddm.

The gdm3 bug is still a problem in Ubuntu 19.04 pre-release with Gnome 3.32 so I don't think it would work in Fedora yet, but I don't know for sure
            I use it on Mint Cinnamon and prime sync works as expected. Like you mentioned , it uses lightdm.

Comment

entropy https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/co...primus-vk-rpm/

Comment

That's great. Thanks!

How do I get bumblebee?

Code:
                Error:
                 Problem: conflicting requests
                  - nothing provides bumblebee needed by primus-vk-20190227-3.fc29.x86_64
                  - nothing provides bumblebee needed by primus-vk-20190324-3.fc29.x86_64
                Btw, any suggestions what's currently the best way to get the NVidia drivers on Fedora?

Thanks in advance!

Comment

Bumblebee & drivers installation manual: https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US...ocs/bumblebee/
                  Then install primus-vk: dnf install primus-vk primus-vk-libs.i686

Comment

Originally posted by leonmaxx View Post
                    Bumblebee & drivers installation manual: https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US...ocs/bumblebee/
                    Then install primus-vk: dnf install primus-vk primus-vk-libs.i686
                    This did it. The HowTo is easy to follow.
                    And it works quite well (much better than the integrated GPU, but the GT 730M is not what you call a beast).

Thank you (both) so much!

Comment

Soundwave to replace Pulsaudio when?

Comment

Working...
                      X