Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vulkan 1.1.105 Adds New Extensions For Google Games Platform (Stadia)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vulkan 1.1.105 Adds New Extensions For Google Games Platform (Stadia)

Phoronix: Vulkan 1.1.105 Adds New Extensions For Google Games Platform (Stadia)

While Vulkan 1.1.104 was just released on Sunday with new extensions ahead of this week's Game Developers Conference, today marks the availability of Vulkan 1.1.105 with new extensions for the "Google Games Platform", a.k.a. their just announced Stadia cloud game streaming platform...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    but built against AMD's closed-source shader compilar,

Comment

..presumably they are using the binary "PRO" Vulkan Linux driver that is derived from the AMDVLK sources but built against AMD's closed-source shader compiler, but that has yet to be confirmed.
      Already given a clear answer.
      “Google and AMD share a commitment to open-source with expertise in Vulkan, open-source Vulkan GPU drivers, and open-source graphics optimization tools. We’re humbled by the spirit of innovation and collaboration that exists throughout the gaming industry and look forward to pioneering the future of graphics technology with game developers, in open-source.”

Comment

Why are these in the Vulkan Specification?

The specification itself should be generic, not have anything specifically for one service.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
          Why are these in the Vulkan Specification?

The specification itself should be generic, not have anything specifically for one service.
          The spec is generic, thats why those are extensions. Even the wayland/X11/win32 swapchain stuff are extensions for that reason. Would you prefer these to be secret and only available in the stadia sdk? This way someone else might even build a streaming service using those extensions.

Comment

Originally posted by Masush5 View Post
            The spec is generic, thats why those are extensions. Even the wayland/X11/win32 swapchain stuff are extensions for that reason. Would you prefer these to be secret and only available in the stadia sdk? This way someone else might even build a streaming service using those extensions.
            You didn't catch the message, it seems that anyone can wake up a morning with the aim making it's own extension to a Khronos API standard and in fact doing it...

Shouldn't be a newborn API like Vulkan as clean and sharp as possible to be a precise standard, with yet refined and preferred paths, maybe also with extensions sometimes, but I often read added extensions/features prefixed with brand names (AMD, Nvidia...), I mean... it's always good having enhancements but it seems that those API are constantly fitted/bloated by too specific lone features...
            I don't intend to be polemic, I just wonder how things is going to happen

Comment

Lets hope these extensions won't interfere with adoption/adaption to "true" Linux-Ports

Comment

Originally posted by man-walking View Post
                t I often read added extensions/features prefixed with brand names (AMD, Nvidia...),
                The prefix is there to identify where the extension came from, not to limit who can implement it.

You can check them here https://www.khronos.org/registry/vulkan/#repo-docs

Comment

I don't see the problem with extensions, as long as one day we aren't going to have a 1GB driver download because of them all...

Comment

I would like to have my own extension in Vulkan. Not sure what it's supposed to do yet...

Comment

Working...
                    X