Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vulkan 1.1.104 Brings Native HDR, Exclusive Fullscreen Extensions

Phoronix: Vulkan 1.1.104 Brings Native HDR, Exclusive Fullscreen Extensions

With the annual Game Developers' Conference (GDC) kicking off tomorrow in San Francisco, Khronos' Vulkan working group today released Vulkan 1.1.104 that comes with several noteworthy extensions...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

VK_EXT_full_screen_exclusive - will this be useful for freesync support?

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
      No, vulkan is drawing api. Freesync depends on support from the display drivers and x11 (and wayland compositors).

Comment

Originally posted by petete View Post

No, vulkan is drawing api. Freesync depends on support from the display drivers and x11 (and wayland compositors).
        Vulkan is not a drawing API. Vulkan is GPU programming API. radeonsi had to add support for it, so I assume radv / amdvlk will have to as well. May be bypassing the compositor will allow Vulkan driver control framerate according to whatever the kernel VRR features communicate.

Comment

This extension is win32 only in the spec. Mostly for the app to control whether to use the windows concept of exclusive fullscreen or borderless windowed fullscreen.

Comment

Originally posted by BNieuwenhuizen View Post

This extension is win32 only in the spec. Mostly for the app to control whether to use the windows concept of exclusive fullscreen or borderless windowed fullscreen.
            Good to know, thanks! Is there some work that needs to be done to enable adaptive sync with radv?

Comment

On Windows with Vulkan, Nvidia doesn't support fullscreen exclusive, while AMD doesn't support borderless. What a mess.
              On Xorg, we already have full control whether the compositor stays enabled or not.

Comment

Good to know, thanks! Is there some work that needs to be done to enable adaptive sync with radv?
                I ported whatever radeonsi does to radv in this patch: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/bnieu...mmits/freesync

However, I've had someone tell me that it does not work for him, and lacking a freesync monitor (or any good testing plan really) I haven't spend a lot of effort on finding the issue. You're welcome to try, a second test result is always welcome (but before you report, please make sure freesync works with radeonsi on your setup so we can isolate issues)

Comment

I ported whatever radeonsi does to radv in this patch: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/bnieu...mmits/freesync

However, I've had someone tell me that it does not work for him, and lacking a freesync monitor (or any good testing plan really) I haven't spend a lot of effort on finding the issue. You're welcome to try, a second test result is always welcome (but before you report, please make sure freesync works with radeonsi on your setup so we can isolate issues)
                  I'd like to, but I don't have such monitor either yet. It's kind of an chicken and egg problem - I'm waiting with buying a FreeSync capable monitor before radv and KWin will catch up with it... It would be a bit annoying to get some 144 Hz 2560x1440 monitor that will be forcing 144 Hz all the time causing games to be out of sync.

Hopefully someone with such monitors can help testing it. Feel free to post a request for it here:

I'm sure you can find some gamers there with Freesync capable monitors who would be interested in helping testing it with radv.

Comment

Good day, i could test if goes to Mesa-Git.

Comment

Working...
                    X