A Final Look At The OpenGL vs. Vulkan Performance For Talos Principle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Final Look At The OpenGL vs. Vulkan Performance For Talos Principle

Phoronix: A Final Look At The OpenGL vs. Vulkan Performance For Talos Principle

The Talos Principle was the launch title for Vulkan 1.0 when the graphics API debuted three years ago as an alternative to Croteam's OpenGL renderer. Since then Croteam has rolled out its Vulkan support to their other games and now they are in the process of finally phasing out the OpenGL renderer with The Talos Principle. Here's a last look at how the OpenGL and Vulkan performance compares for this multi-platform game.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Looking forward to AMD results when the vulcan problems are solved.

Kind regards
    B.

Comment

A test with a Radeon GPU and RADV would have been interesting. I didn't see any issue with Mesa-git and RADV.

Comment

I suppose it's the same as with SS: Fusion now: radv really fast, but the game's Vulkan renderer still slower than D3D11 + ugly shader compile stutter.

Comment

Would be interesting to see the DirectX scores from Windows and how they compare, too.

Comment

Originally posted by bosjc View Post
            Would be interesting to see the DirectX scores from Windows and how they compare, too.
            FTA: "Radeon tests were left out as with RADV the performance seems to be strangely slower on the current public beta build, so until sorting out that odd behavior, just looking at the NVIDIA Linux performance."
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

FTA: "Radeon tests were left out as with RADV the performance seems to be strangely slower on the current public beta build, so until sorting out that odd behavior, just looking at the NVIDIA Linux performance."
              Err... I was more asking about Windows/DirectX performance, not RADV/AMD....

Comment

I hope Feral has added the ability to select which gpu the game can be run on like Rise of The Tome raider has. SSFusion lacks that ability. If you have a multi-gpu setup you can enjoy a nice drop in performance if the game runs under Vulkan with radv on the second card. On my older rig that hit was on average around 17 fps slower, nor would I want the game to launch on the second card if it was already being used for compute purposes. Kde Neon seems to like defaulting steam games to the second card Gnome would happen a rather infrequently.
                Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety,deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
                Ben Franklin 1755

Comment

Back in 2014/2015. i played The Talos Principle OpenGL on AMD Kabini APU with FGLRX, because radeon driver was lockup prone there

Does not matter really, as there are so much cvars with Serious Engine there so that it is playable on anything Same way one could fire up that too much so that even fastest cards would cry

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Two or three months before Croteam introduced Vulkan version back in 2016., they actually slowed down OpenGL version too

There is nothing strange to me there
                    Last edited by dungeon; 26 February 2019, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X