No announcement yet.

A Final Look At The OpenGL vs. Vulkan Performance For Talos Principle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can confirm those Vulkan drops. Reported them. From 80 fps to 50 fps.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkFoss View Post
      I hope Feral has added the ability to select which gpu the game can be run on like Rise of The Tome raider has. SSFusion lacks that ability. If you have a multi-gpu setup you can enjoy a nice drop in performance if the game runs under Vulkan with radv on the second card. On my older rig that hit was on average around 17 fps slower, nor would I want the game to launch on the second card if it was already being used for compute purposes. Kde Neon seems to like defaulting steam games to the second card Gnome would happen a rather infrequently.
      Do you mean you hope Croteam adds this?

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

Two or three months before Croteam introduced Vulkan version back in 2016., they actually slowed down OpenGL version too

There is nothing strange to me there
        Any source for that?

Comment

Originally posted by bosjc View Post

Any source for that?
          I am the source, speaking how i remembered that happened. I bought game on release back in 2014. mastered it in 2015. but somewhere year after release there was this slowdown.

Couple months later they released first Vulkan version at the same speed as that slowed down OpenGL
          Last edited by dungeon; 26 February 2019, 09:08 PM.

Comment

Is VKD3D mature enough to try the DirectX 12 version of this game?

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

I am the source, speaking how i remembered that happened. I bought game on release back in 2014. mastered it in 2015. but somewhere year after release there was this slowdown.

Couple months later they released first Vulkan version at the same speed as that slowed down OpenGL
              Ah, cool, so no actual benchmarks or anything past an anecdote.

Comment

Ah, cool, so no actual benchmarks or anything past an anecdote.
                Nope, only anecdote. They released like 50 versions in last 4 years, can't even remember which one that was... something in maybe october/november/december 2015.

Since that time, i am not surprised that perf goes up and down with different versions

Back in 2014. game was 32bit only with GL/D3D11/D3D9 renderers, now game is 64bit only with VK/D3D12 renderers mainly... so game and perf is entirely different since everything is different under the hood since release
                Last edited by dungeon; 26 February 2019, 10:16 PM.

Comment

Do you mean you hope Croteam adds this?
                  Oops yeah nice catch I was thinking about how nice it was for Feral to add that option when I wrote that forgetting Talos is Croteam.
                  Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety,deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
                  Ben Franklin 1755

Comment

Last number of times I tried this game it was crash fest central, which is weird considering I have very few games that crash.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkFoss View Post

Oops yeah nice catch I was thinking about how nice it was for Feral to add that option when I wrote that forgetting Talos is Croteam.
                      That is actually kind of cool - had no idea it was possibly on any game.

Originally posted by creative View Post
                      Last number of times I tried this game it was crash fest central, which is weird considering I have very few games that crash.
                      Yeah, installed the beta, played for maybe 5 minutes, good performance, then hard lock that required physical reboot.

Comment

Working...
                      X